thirty: desire

Taehyung landed on the ground and laid Jeongguk down gently in the grass. The fireflies were all hidden as if they knew what was greeting them. Jeongguk looked peaceful amongst the scenery but Taehyung's heart was anything but. Bruises decorated the exposed skin of his body and Taehyung could only wonder about much pain he suffered before he was put at rest. He can only pray now it was quick.

The older sat on the ground with him. "You asshole, you broke our promise," Taehyung yelled while he brought the body closer to him.

"This isn't real, right?" Taehyung continued, holding back a sob. "I was able to fly, I never learned, remember? I'm dreaming for real this time, aren't I?"

Taehyung watched Jeongguk as if he was expecting an answer. He wasn't surprised when there wasn't a response from the man who was slowly losing the colour in him. The warmth had already left.

"Why'd you have to do that? God, please. Jeongguk, I need you. Get up, c'mon. I love you, you idiot, please," Taehyung tried, holding him tightly.

Taehyung clenched his teeth as the truth was settling down on him. He tried taking in deep breaths to calm himself down but his emotions felt as if they were all over the place. He felt the grass surrounding them dry out and Taehyung eyes darted all around. He saw the beautiful flowers begin to wilt and trees losing their leaves.

It was him. He was killing everything around him. If it had been any other day, Taehyung would've been scared to death about his uncontrollable power but at that very moment, he couldn't care less. He'd lost the elf that made him believe his gift doesn't define him and stuck with him through all his shit, what was the point in caring about anything else now?

"Our little world's being destroyed, and by me no less," Taehyung said with a light chuckle. The chuckle very quickly turned into hysterical laughts. He was going crazy and didn't realize the tears that had returned until he saw the droplets fall on Jeongguk.

"Taehyung," Namjoon's voice entered as he landed with Jeongguk's pegasus that helped follow Taehyung there. "You need to come back."

"Leave, I want to be alone," Taehyung replied, not even bothering to look back.

"Taehyung–"

"Wasn't he like a brother to you? How are you so unaffected?"

Taehyung turned his head back when he didn't hear a response. Namjoon stood there, no tears, just a frown as he stared at Jeongguk's limp body. Then only did Taehyung realize the countless amount of time Namjoon had to probably face the same scene with all the people he's cared for over the years. The tough exterior he had developed made him much stronger than Taehyung but the feelings were just the same.

"Please leave," Taehyung said, returning his gaze to the man in his arms.

"You're a King–"

Taehyung shut his eyes tight. "I don't want it!" he yelled and he felt a sudden push emit from his body. His surrounding were starting to die at a much faster rate.

It wasn't fair. He never asked for this. Sure, his life in New York wasn't all that but he was somewhat happy, at least stress-free and surely curse-free. Yet, Taehyung knew very well that if he was given the opportunity to go back in time and change it all, he wouldn't. He would fall in love with Jeongguk all over again. If there's anything he would change, it'd be making sure it was him in Jeongguk's place.

"I just..." Taehyung whimpered, moving Jeongguk's hair away from his face. "I want him," he finished with a gulp as he laid a kiss on his forehead. "I need him. I-I can't live without him."

Taehyung remembered reading Romeo and Juliet in high school and thinking how dumb the ending was. He didn't think they should've reacted the way they did. No matter how much they loved each other, he thought it was silly to think that life couldn't go on or that their lover would've wanted the same fate for them. He now understood how the star-crossed lovers felt.