twenty-eight: stay alive

"Nervous?"

Taehyung hummed, looking out at the night scene. Most of the lights were turned off in the village, all probably trying to get some sleep. No matter how peaceful the quiet seemed to be he everyone would be anything but. They were going to have their parents, siblings, children, friends, all out ready to get on the battlefield putting their lives at risk for them in just three days.

"Not nervous, frustrated," Taehyung replied.

"You can read the spell, can't you?" Namjoon said, taking a sip of his tea. Taehyung truly didn't understand how Namjoon could be so calm, and if he did ask him, he'd say that he's seen much worse.

Taehyung nodded, at least that was one thing he had accomplished. "But if it doesn't work, there is no point. If only I could be everywhere at once. Dark magic can only be destroyed by dark magic, and as far as I know, I'm the only monster within the shield."

"Hey."

Taehyung's couldn't help but let the word slip. He's been put under more pressure than ever. He's gotten so used to people talking behind his back that he's begun to doubt everyone now. Wondering if every time he turned his back, someone was whispering something about it. Except for Jeongguk, that it.

"Sorry. But I am the only one who can practice dark magic. If only there was a way I could be everywhere at once," Taehyung groaned, looking down at his untouched cup. All the cloning spells he has looked at couldn't split his magic.

"Maybe you can," Namjoon said and Taehyung's interest was immediately perked.

"What?"

"Not you, but your magic. Yes..." Namjoon set down his cup so that he could concentrate better. "I remember seeing a spell from the dark spellbook."

"What?" Taehyung exclaimed. He's read through that thing a million times, there was nothing he could find. He gave it to Namjoon hoping he'd help but it ended with the same result.

"Steel of death."

Taehyung breath stopped for a second. He knew that spell, hell he memorized them all. It was to be cast on steel, hence the name, and whomever it stroke, it would be instant death. Even if it were the size of papercut, that was it.

"It's too risky. If someone accidentally–"

"They are trained for this."

"What if it doesn't even kill the shadow creatures? Not to mention having to cast it over all our and our allies weapons."

"What else have we got?"

Taehyung gnawed at his bottom lip. "Thank you. I'll think about it."

"You better think fast. We're running out of time."

Taehyung nodded. "I'll discuss it at tomorrow's final meeting. Thank you for the tea."

"You didn't even touch it."

The king chuckled and Namjoon smiled back, knowing it must be hard to swallow anything down this close to a war. They bid each other goodnight and Taehyung returned to his chamber. He usually did his best to leave any thoughts at the door since it was the part of the day he'd look most forward. It was always a if he could just get through this piece of paperwork, training, or this meeting, he'd soon be in Jeongguk's arms.

"Hey," Jeongguk greeted him as he was closing the balcony doors. Without saying a word, Taehyung walked up to him and embraced him in a tight hug. He'd been needing those a lot more often these days and Jeongguk knows exactly what to do. He holds the back of Taehyung head and used the other rub his back slowly.