Prologue

This is a Downton Abbey Fanfiction. This means that it contains spoilers for all seasons! Also, all characters except for Theodore and his friends belong to Julian Fellowes 

      Teddy was three years old when he came to Downton. He couldn't remember much about what happened before that now, not anymore, but he did know one thing. Before he lived in Downton, he lived in London with his mother.

     Carson had never liked him much; that had been clear from day one. Perhaps not so clear to him at the time, but as he grew older, it was easier to tell. Despite the fact that the butler didn't like him, others seemed to. Anna was a strong mother figure, Daisy was like an older sister. If he tried hard enough, he could vaguely remember William entertaining him when he had the time. 

     The man Theodore called his father was Mr. Thomas Barrow. He wasn't his real father, technically he was his godfather, but he was the closest thing Teddy had ever known. Of course, many must have questioned this decision. Question his mother for leaving him with that man and that man for agreeing. Well, Teddy would always say that those thoughts were completely wrong. Elizabeth Knighton knew what she was doing, and Thomas Barrow was not a lost cause when it came to children. 

     Perhaps he could start the story back when he was three, his first arrival at Downton, but his memory of then is so clouded he would need someone else to tell you what happened. And then this wouldn't really be Teddy's story. So, the story begins with a more dramatic and life-altering event for the lives of many. He may have been five, but he knew bad news when he heard it, and war was definitely bad news.

     His dad left not long after that announcement had been made, as he had decided to train in the medical field for the war. After he left, Teddy got lucky enough to get to stay at Downton, helping them wherever he could, though a five-year-old couldn't do much, considering the cuts that their staff would be experiencing due to the war. 

     People often begin with introductions. Stories often begin with conflict. So, that is where the story will start.