Chapter One

It's been a mere three days, and while she had left school before to come home for the summer, Nadia still felt different

It's been a mere three days, and while she had left school before to come home for the summer, Nadia still felt different. And it was different. The knowledge that she wouldn't be going back came with the summer warmth, making her feel as if the whispers of the wind continuously reminded her of that simple fact.

In her free time she often chose to distract herself with the newest books her father had amassed while she had been away. Some of them she had already read as they were merely new copies, but some she hadn't had the pleasure yet, and wanted to get to them as soon as she could.

One particular afternoon that was exactly her plan as she sat in the living room, sprawled out on the sofa with the newly bought copy of The Shining by Stephen King in her hands. Her father was upstairs in his study grading some of the student papers he still had to get to before the universities too started their break.

The house was quiet, and the living room almost echoed with the sound of Nadia tuning a page of her book. But that serenity was suddenly broken as a large pop startled her out of her reverie. Her eyes quickly snapped up as she spotted a figure apparate right into her living room.

Although slightly clumsily as they managed to land on top of the table and in their rush slip of, falling to the ground with a large thud. Nadia's laugh quickly broke through the silence making the victim of their own making glare up at her as he climbed back to his feet.

"Nadia are you alright?" Her father's voice reached her ears as Konstantin rushed into the living room after hearing all the commotion from his study. His eyes took in the unfamiliar man standing in his living room, sending his daughter a curious look as he got back to his feet.

"Everything's fine dad, Nicholas appears to have forgotten we made plans for tomorrow, not today. And also how to apparate it would seem." Nadia spoke in a teasing voice as she smiled at her friend. She didn't mind his unannounced visit, but she really believed he had mixed up the days.

"No, I didn't forget, the plans just changed. We have to go." Nicholas said in a tone of urgency making Nadia give him a curious and slightly worried look. Nowadays, whenever something was urgent she always worried. Urgency never meant something good in their world.

"Where? What's going on?" She asked worriedly, her father too now becoming slightly stressed over where Nicholas would be whisking his daughter away.

"St. Mungo's. Come on Nadia, I don't know how much time we have. How long does child birth last?" Nicholas questioned, letting a smile slip on to his face as he watched Nadia's eyes widen in surprise.

"What? Wait... Eliza... We have to go!" She finally caught her bearings, rushing out of the room and towards the kitchen where she had left her wand. She left no room for any questions Konstantin may have, and luckily he didn't have any as he already knew all about Eliza and Adam since their wedding and about Nadia being the godmother. Of course they would want her there.

"By dad!" Nadia called out as she grabbed Nicholas' hand and let him whisk her away as he disapparated from their living room. She felt the dizzying sensation that always came with apparition, but it didn't last too long as the two appeared in one of the white hallways of the St. Mungo's Hospital.

Nadia's hearing was instantly registering the multiple cries of the newborn babies residing in the maternity wing of the hospital. The realization that her god child was about to be born brought a wide smile to her face.

"When we are born we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools." Nadia quoted, feeling it to be the appropriate time for the Shakespeare line which made Nicholas let out a small laugh.

"Are you calling me a fool Volkov?" The familiar voice made both Nadia and Nicholas quickly turn around as they came face to face with Adam himself. His face was spread out into the widest smile Nadia had ever seen, happiness almost shining around him.

"What are you doing out here? I thought you'd never leave that room." Nicholas questioned curiously, slightly surprised to see Adam away from Eliza's side at this time.

"I thought the apparition might be you two, and I came to check. Thought you might want to meet your god kid." Adam explained with a knowing look on his face, refusing to reveal the gender of the baby on purpose. Something both Nicholas and Nadia noticed despite their excitement, but brushed it off as they eagerly nodded their heads letting Adam lead the way towards one of the rooms.

As they passed through the door, their eyes instantly looked towards the bed where Eliza lay underneath the white covers. But more importantly, within her arms, there was a bundle of blankets, and from their position all Nicholas and Nadia could see was one tiny hand reaching through the air.

"Guys, meet Gwen Bennett Song, your goddaughter." Eliza whispered as the two approached, their eyes glued to the baby girl sleeping in her mother's arms.

"She's so beautiful." Nadia whispered as she looked down at the baby girl. Nadia had seen babies before, sure, but this time it was so much more. Just one look at Gwen and her heart was melting. This was her goddaughter.

"Congratulations you two. You'll make great parents." Nicholas said happily, sharing a hug with Adam while Gwen remained by Eliza's side, silently marveling at the beautiful child.

"Do you want to hold her?" Eliza asked with a smile after she spent a couple of moments observing Nadia's reactions. The question made the Russian girl's eyes widen as they snapped towards her in surprise.

"Really?" She asked, wanting to make sure Eliza felt alright with letting her hold Gwen. She would've completely understood if she didn't want to let go of her. Eliza nodded with a happy smile and slowly shifted so Nadia could take over holding little Gwen.

She was so tiny and a part of Nadia was terrified of holding her. But as Gwen safely nestled into her arms she smiled down at the peaceful little girl. She looked like the perfect mix of Adam and Eliza, and it was already very obvious she would grow up into a beautiful girl; just like her mother.

"Hi Gwen, I'm Nadia. It's so nice to meet you." Nadia cooed silently as she slightly rocked the child in her arms. "You and I are going to have so much fun together, and I'll spoil you like any godmother should. Just you wait and see." She continued to whisper to the child lovingly. She was more than ready to do as she said and fully step into her role as a godmother. Not only that, but now Nadia felt more sure in the decisions she'd been making lately as she had one more reason to keep fighting. Gwen was that reason; her goddaughter and her safety.

Published: 25th September, 2019

I thought we should start off on a happy note. Guys, welcome to the start of Tenebrous!!!