Chapter Fifty Five

A week had passed since the night of Remus and Sirius' fight

A week had passed since the night of Remus and Sirius' fight. While their friends had expected for the two to calm down sooner or later at the very least; if not even make up, there had been no progress towards the better yet. The tension even seemed to grow as Remus continued to stand by his theories while Sirius managed come up with some of his own. Because of the deal You-know-who made with the werewolf community, Sirius' suspicions soon turned towards Remus as a possible traitor. 

"Suspicion haunts the guilty mind." He said, remembering the Shakespeare quote Nadia had used the night before when he accused her of eating the last of the cupcakes Camille brought them. 

Nadia tried to make him see sense, make him understand how foolish it all sounded. But just like Remus, he had already made up his mind. She wasn't sure whether Sirius truly believed what he was saying about Remus or if he was saying it just because he had been hurt by Remus' accusations. Whichever it was, he wasn't giving up on his beliefs and it would take a lot to convince him to let go of them, even for just one night. Luckily, on that particular night, Nadia was able to persuade her husband. 

"Promise me you'll behave?" She asked one last time as they climbed up the front steps of the Potter home and stood in front of the door, Sirius right by her side. 

"I promise. Tonight is your night." Sirius gave in easily, making a happy smile stretch over Nadia's face as she intertwined their hands. She trusted him to keep his word. However, to avoid possible conflict on all sides, she quickly added on. 

"And James'." 

"You think I don't know? He's been on about it for the last two weeks." Sirius let out an amused chuckle as he pressed the doorbell before turning back to her while they waited. " 'Can you believe it, Sirius?! In just ten days the world will rejoice that its been blessed by my presence for twenty years!"

Sirius was in the middle of his James impersonation when the door opened, but instead of stopping, he continued on, drawing amusement from the glare James was sending his way. 

" First, I don't sound like that. Second, I included Nadia when I said that." James spoke defensively once Sirius finally finished his little act. 

"Happy birthday Prongs! My gift to you are my outworldly acting skills." Sirius announced jokingly, pulling James into a friendly hug and clapping his back as he spoke. And James, despite his dramatic 'I'm offended' act, smiled widely as he returned the embrace and sarcastically thanked Sirius once the two pulled apart. 

When they did, James was quick to jump over to Nadia and pull her into a bone crushing hug, yelling out the words "Happy birthday!" multiple times.

"Alright, while you squeeze the life out of my wife, I'm going to go let yours complain to me about how annoying you've been all day." Sirius announced and proceeded to disappear into the house while shaking his head, leaving Nadia alone to struggle against James.