Chapter Seventy

Nadia tried her best no to cry

Nadia tried her best no to cry. She really did. But as she stood there, watching the scene unfold, she couldn't control the tears which slipped down her cheeks as she rocked her arms back and forth.

"And you have to call every day, and at times when he's awake too, so I can talk to him, okay?" She looked up at Lily and James wanting to make it clear that while her words were posed as a question, they had no chance to answer with a no.

"And send lots of pictures too." Camille remained focused on little Harry as he rested in Nadia's arms, playing with his fingers over the brunette's shoulder.

"We promise." In a turn of events that surprised nobody, Lily too had tears in her eyes as she pulled out of the hug she and Marlene were sharing in that moment and moved over to take her son back in her arms. A little further away stood James, Sirius, Remus and Peter as they too said their goodbyes before Remus and Peter walked away, joining the girls while James and Sirius continued a conversation between themselves.

"You're sure about this? You have everything you need? If something happens you send a Patronus, I'll be there in a second." Sirius rambled on as he and James remained standing alone.

"Yes, Padfoot, everything is in place and as it should be." James reassured his friend, a hand settling on the Black's shoulder and giving it a tight squeeze.

"And you know how to use a phone by now right?" Sirius asked another question making James let out a laugh as he nodded.

"Better than you." The messy haired man teased lightly making his best friend send him a small glare.

"I told you, I didn't notice Tybalt was chewing the wire!" Sirius repeated his defence so many times he had lost count by now. Nadia, James and Lily seemed to give him no peace about it. Although Nadia was the worst because at first it was scolding he received from her at first as she worried about the cat's wellbeing.

As he laughed, James looked back at their friends, a sad look appearing in his eyes for a moment. "I know it's for the best, and Harry and Lily are my first priority, but a part of me wishes I could stay. So I could still help you guys fight." James admitted making Sirius fix him with a pointed look.

"Have some faith that we can do this Prongs." Sirius said, making James' eyes turn back to him.

The truth was, James was worried about not being here. So many things had already happened. Camille almost dying, Nadia getting taken, all the people that wanted them dead continuously trying to get to them. All those things happened while he was still here. He worried about being unable to help, unable to protect them when they needed him. But he knew he also had to protect Lily and Harry. They were why he was doing this.

"I need you to promise me Padfoot, if something happens, if you need my help. You'll call." James said, his tone so serious that Sirius knew he couldn't not make the promise.

"I promise." The Black said with a nod of his head. He too didn't want his best friend, his brother, to leave for Merlin knows how long. But it was for the best. Sirius could handle being apart if it meant that once this war was over they could all be together again.

With the promises made, the two shared one last hug before separating and walking back to the rest of the group where Lily was currently saying goodbye to Peter.

"Oh, I'll miss you all so much." The redhead said as she and the Pettigrew pulled apart.

"Don't be sad, love. You'll see, we will all be together again soon enough." James reassured his wife as he and Sirius rejoined their little circle. He kissed the side of her head but once he pulled away he was tackled into yet another hug.

"I'm gonna miss you." Nadia squeezed James so tightly that at first his breath got stuck in his throat. But he didn't protest and instead hugged her back just as hard.

"Me too Snowflake. Me too." He admitted. Of course James would miss all of their friends, but Nadia and Sirius, he knew he'd miss the most. They were so used to seeing the two every day, now they didn't even know how long they would have to be apart.

"Our birthday is in six months. What if we don't get to celebrate together?" Nadia asked, the idea making her brow furrow as if she were worried. Because right now it really was starting to look like they wouldn't be together for the day. It was so hard to believe they had already spent five birthdays celebrating together. They were so used to it being James Potter and Nadia Volkov Day, but it couldn't be that when they were apart.

"Then we'll make up for it with an even bigger party when we're back." James reassured her, sounding so confident in his words. "Now all of you stop crying or I'm gonna start and that is not a pretty sight." James warned as he and Nadia pulled apart, allowing him to throw his arms around both Camille and Marlene and pull them into a big group hug.

"Prongs is right, the only one who isn't crying is the baby. How is that right?" Sirius questioned making everyone laugh together as they looked at Harry who seemed to be giving them all odd looks as if he himself thought the same as his godfather.

"You two have the recipes I gave you? The whole box?" Camille questioned as she stepped away from James, Marlene doing the same and allowing the Potter to join his wife's side as Lily let go of Remus as they too finished their hugging.

"Yes Millie, don't worry. We won't starve without you." James chuckled in amusement, of course she would be worried about how and what they would be eating while in hiding.

"James, it's time." Lily announced, looking down at her watch and realizing the goodbyes were taking longer than they thought. They had already postponed their moves so they could stay with Camille at least until she got out of the hospital. But they could no longer delay it.

"We'll all see each other soon." James said with a reassuring smile, taking hold of Lily's hand as he reached for his wand. However, it wasn't time just yet.

"Wait! One more!" Marlene exclaimed and just like that the whole group rushed to the family one last time. All six of them surrounded Lily, James and Harry, forming one large group hug as they said their final goodbye. It was the longest hug of all, and none of them really wanted to pull away, but they had to.

"You guys take care of each other." Sirius and Nadia lingered the longest as Nadia leaned down to kiss the top of Harry's head.

"You too." James said, his voice laced with emotion as he looked at the two, unable to resist pulling Nadia into another hug as he told her the same thing he told Sirius. "If you need me, call."

"You too." She whispered back before pulling out of his arms. She and Sirius took a couple of steps back, their eyes never leaving the three as James finally took out his wand. And with one last look, one last reassurance that they'd all be together again, the Potters disapparated.

Their friends watched them go, all promising themselves in their minds that they would continue fighting and do whatever they could to end this war sooner rather than later. Watching them go, believing they would one day be able to come back was one of the hardest things they had to do.

And they didn't even know that for most of them… This was the last time they'd ever see James and Lily Potter again.

Published: 15th May, 2020

Well, I made myself cry, how about you all?

Also... 19 to go.