Chapter Two

"So this has been going on right under our noses for most of the time?" Remus asked in surprise as he looked up at the sign hanging above their heads

"So this has been going on right under our noses for most of the time?" Remus asked in surprise as he looked up at the sign hanging above their heads. He wondered how nobody ever realized there was a large gathering of witches and wizards just a few minutes away.

"Most of the time, yes. Professor Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth, owns it and because of its, well, let's call it remote atmosphere, he often lets the order meet here." Nadia stated. Many of the Order meetings she had attended by now were held in the Hog's Head Inn in Hogsmeade. A couple were also at the Burrow which she came to know as the home of Molly and Arthur Weasley and their children.

"Am I the only one who's nervous?" Camille asked, her hand holding on to Remus' as they all looked at the wooden door they were supposed to pass through to enter the inn and attend their first meeting of the Order of the Phoenix.

"Are we sure we want to do this? I'm sure Dumbledore wouldn't hold it against us if we changed our minds." Peter questioned with slight fear in his voice making his friends turn to him with sympathetic looks.

"You can always go back if you want to Wormtail. Nobody would judge you for it." James told him, giving his shoulder a light squeeze. And he was being honest in his words, he knew nobody would be angry with him if he backed out.

"But if you do choose to stay, there's nothing to be scared of. Whatever comes our way, we have your back." Sirius added on. It was an unspoken promise among all of them from the moment they joined the Order. They would protect each other no matter what.

"Should we go inside then?" Marlene asked curiously, ready to meet the rest of the Order, the people who would be fighting alongside them from this point onwards.

"We should, we don't want to be late because we were standing outside staring at the door. And I'm pretty sure they've already noticed we're here." Lily retorted as she noticed a couple of curious eyes looking their way through some of the windows.

"Well, let's go then." James said confidently and was the first to move as he reached for the door, pushing it open and holding it so everyone could pass before he walked inside after them, closing it behind him. By now all eyes were focused on them as they made their way further into the room. To see a group so big was something the members weren't quite used to. They hadn't had such a mass joining since the beginning of the Order.

"Ah, I'm glad you all could make it inside. That door can be quite tricky sometimes." Dumbledore was the first to break the silence as he smiled at the group of his former students, a knowing look in his eyes. Some of the Order members, who like the Hogwarts Headmaster had noticed their presence outside of the inn, let out amused laughs at the comment while the group of eight turned slightly embarrassed.

"Honestly, thought you lot had gone dumb for a moment." A familiar voice called making the group turn to their former classmate, many of them surprised to see him and his boyfriend sitting at one of the tables.

"What are you two doing here?" Sirius questioned in surprise, and only received pointed looks from both Henry and Nicholas, as their presence at the inn seemed to be quite self-explanatory. "Are there any other secret Order members I should know about? Is Mrs Norris somewhere around here? I'm sure she hisses the Death Eaters away quite well." His words once more caused laughter to spread through the room.

"Well Mr Black, I could always transfigure myself into a cat, but I'm sure you'd be able to notice the difference. And I like to think my wand is much more effective than my hissing." One more person spoke from behind them making the group turn to look at one of their favourite teachers.

"Ah, Minnie, always great to see you." James greeted the woman with a wide smile making McGonagall send him a small scolding glare, but that only prompted him to continue. "No, no. You can't scold me for that anymore, we're not students anymore." James pointed out as that scolding look was something he had gotten quite used to.

"Excuse him Professor, I think he may have suffered some mental damage since we've left school." Lily said in an apologetic tone as she hit James over the head as a sign that it was time for him to shut up.

"I'm pretty sure it's always been there." Remus and Marlene mumbled simultaneously sending each other an amused look before sharing a subtle high five behind Peter's back so nobody would see them.

"Hogwarts must be thrilled to be rid of you lot." A sharp voice commented from the back of the room making their eyes turn to the tall man as he stepped forward. Just his appearance seemed quite intimidating.

"You said the same thing about us Moody!" Gideon called out with a wide smile on his face, his head of red hair sticking out among the crowd along with his twin brother's so they weren't hard to spot.

"And you see how much Minerva misses us by now." Fabian added on teasingly making Nadia let out a laugh. And her friends expected this to be an intimidating situation.

"I don't recall that. When did I say any such thing?" McGonagall asked as she sent Dumbledore a questioning look as she tried to recall the moment she said those words. Of course, she knew she had said them, she even said she would miss the Marauders on their last night of school, but that was something she would not admit out loud.

"Well Minerva you'll find that in some cases my memory seems to fail me. So how about we get this meeting under way? There is much to be discussed and introductions to be made." Dumbledore said with an amused gleam in his eyes.

When the group of eight now former students had agreed to joining the Order, Dumbledore knew they would be great additions. Not only because of their skills in magic and duelling, but also because of their spirits. They always managed to bring the light into even the darkest of times, and he knew that would be something the Order needed. Sooner or later.

At Dumbledore's words, people stood from their individual tables, all gathering together as they got ready to jump into business. The amusing start of the meeting managed to lift spirits, but there were still many important things they needed to get to.

"So we're all staying?" Lily asked as the group remained back, sharing a look amongst themselves.

"We're staying." Many said in unison, knowing this was something they had to do. And once they were in agreement, they dispersed, joining the circle of Order members, ready to do their parts.

"What's done can't be undone." Nadia mumbled to herself. They made this decision, and she knew there was no backing out now. They had to follow through. And they would, despite the costs they will come to know are waiting for them.

Published: 25th September, 2019