Chapter Twenty Nine

"We love you both, so much

"We love you both, so much. And we couldn't be prouder of our boys... Our sons."

Those were the last words Euphemia and Fleamont told James and Sirius after asking them to come and talk to them during the wedding reception. Because not long after it, the two lost their battle against the Dragon Pox. And now Sirius stood by himself, looking down at their grave, reading their names etched into the stone over and over again. His eyes remained teary, but he couldn't cry, not anymore.

With his hand in the pocket of his black coat, Sirius' fingers clasped around a tiny object he carried with him ever since that night. He pulled it out, letting the silver catch the gleam of sunlight as he looked down at it. The last thing Euphemia had given him. And he couldn't understand why; why hadn't she given it to James? That night wasn't the first time they referred to him as their son, but to Sirius it still seemed odd for him to be the one to get this. It should have gone to James, especially as he needed it before Sirius did.

"You know, I think mum knew from the first time you mentioned Nadia." James' voice startled Sirius out of his thoughts, bringing him back to the present and making him look to the side where James now stood. He hadn't even noticed his approach.

"I think a part of me, a subconscious part, knew from the moment we saw her sitting in our compartment." Sirius smiled a small smile, thinking back to the 1st of September, 1976; the day Nadia came into their lives. "Why did she give it to me? Why not you? You're their son, you talked about proposing to Lily before I even started to think about marriage." Sirius couldn't help but ask. A part of him wondered whether it hurt James that he wasn't the one to get Euphemia's ring.

"Mum always knew that you didn't want to feel like a burden to us, that you questioned whether you were a part of the family. It was her way of showing you that you are, and you always will be. She planned on giving it to you for some time now." James explained, remembering the conversation he had with his mother about her engagement ring when he announced he was going to propose to Lily. And just like her, James completely agreed that Sirius should have the engagement ring.

"And you don't mind that?" Sirius asked, he didn't want to cause James any more pain by being the one to have the ring. If it bothered him, Sirius would just get a new one, and this one they could put away, not give it to anyone and keep as a memory.

"I don't mind." James clasped his hand on Sirius' shoulder as he spoke reassuringly. Sirius deserved this, just as much as he would have. "But what I will mind is if you don't use it sooner rather than later." He added in a lighter tone, making Sirius let out a chuckle of amusement. Ever since he admitted he could see himself marrying Nadia, it seemed like James asked about it every day.

"Use what?" While they remained oblivious, Nadia's feet quietly carried her over to the two, giving her a chance to catch on to the last bit of what James had said. After the funeral had finished, many of them branched off, and Nadia had went with the rest of their friends while they gave Sirius and James some time alone.

"Nothing!" Sirius exclaimed quickly, his hand shoving back into his pocket so she wouldn't see the ring he held in his hand that he and James had been so focused on. When he did use it, he wanted it to be a surprise, he wanted it to be special.

"Alright then." Nadia gave them a suspicious look, but did not pry into their conversation. She knew whatever it was, she'd know if it was important. "Everyone's heading home, and I thought I'd come and check on you, see if we're going back to the Potters or home?" Nadia asked, walking over to Sirius' side, his arm instantly moving to her waist to hold her close to him.

"We're going home." Sirius said gently, wanting nothing more than to go to their flat, and just hold her. It was the only thing he needed right now. Nadia nodded her head, ready to go wherever he wanted.

"Before you do, Nadia, about the cure you tried to make..." James started to speak, wanting to talk to her about this for some time now.

"I know it gave you hope James, and I am so sorry I couldn't make it. I'm sorry I made you go through that." Nadia instantly started apologizing, as she had been ever since their deaths. She knew it was a long shot, and she hated putting James and Sirius in that position, she hated giving them hope only for it to be crushed in the end.

"You shouldn't apologize so much. You tried, it's more than anyone else would have done." James interrupted her apologies quickly. She may not have managed to do it in time, but James was still so grateful for what she had done. And it is what led him to his next words. "And I want you to keep trying."

"What?" Nadia asked in a confused manner.

"I know that if anyone can find a cure it's you. All you need is time." James explained, truly believing in every word he said. "Finding it means that nobody has to go through this again, that people don't have to fear losing their loved ones; getting left behind when they're gone." James said, looking to the grave as his voice broke, the sound making Nadia pull out of Sirius' hold and pull James into her arms tightly.

"I will, I promise." She whispered to him. It was too late for his parents, but James knew that Nadia could save others from the pain he was feeling right now, and had been going through in the last week, he wanted that to become a reality.

"But you two need to remember one important thing." Nadia added on, slightly pulling out of the hug, still remaining tucked under James' arms while also extending her hand to Sirius who took it without question. "Those who love us never really leave us. Euphemia and Fleamont, they'll always stay with you; in your hearts." She said gently, reminding them of the importance of the memories they had of the two.

James kissed the side of her head gratefully while Sirius squeezed her hand, knowing she was right. All they needed to do was keep their memory alive. James knew that while he may have lost his parents, he still had family. He had Lily, he had Sirius and Nadia, and Remus and Peter. They were all his family. And Sirius too, took her words to heart. But while he knew she was right, he wouldn't understand the true importance of memories yet. Not for a couple of years; until the time came when they would be the only thing to keep him going.

Published: 02nd November, 2019