Chapter Thirty One

"What do you mean they're watery?!" James exclaimed, his hands flying through the air in irritation as he stood on the other side of the kitchen counter

"What do you mean they're watery?!" James exclaimed, his hands flying through the air in irritation as he stood on the other side of the kitchen counter. His loud exclamation made all the eyes of their friends turn to him and the woman he was arguing with.

"The tomatoes are watery James! They'll water down the sauce! Do you want my sauce to be watered down?" Camille pointed a ladle in James' face as she fixed him with a pointed glare.

"Isn't sauce supposed to be part water? Can't you just use less water?" James questioned, still not seeing the problem in watery tomatoes.

"Oh no." Remus groaned as he heard James' questions. Being Camille's boyfriend meant he did not only see the problem in watery tomatoes, but also the mistake James had made with his words. The poor Potter had no idea what was coming for him.

"Use less water... Use less water?! Have you gone mad James? How could you even suggest such a thing?" Camille questioned with wide eyes, acting as if he had just said the most insulting thing. "Lily, how do you manage to live with this?" She turned her head to look at the group of friends lounging around in the living room.

"It is a struggle Camille, it really is." Lily spoke in a joking tone, after all, she didn't really care if James brought back watery tomatoes. Nobody but Remus could really see a problem in watery tomatoes, but knowing how Millie could get when cooking and ingredients were in question, nobody had James' bravery to question her reasons. Camille was always in charge of cooking for the weekly dinners Sirius and Nadia had at their place; she had the power to poison all of them.

"It's a struggle for you? You're not the one forced to eat Brussel sprouts because your wife loves them." James pointed out in retaliation.

"Brussel sprouts! Yes! That could save this! Nadia, Sirius, you must have some right?" Camille exclaimed optimistically, quickly rushing over to the fridge in search of the green balls of evil as Nadia liked to call them.

"Do we tell her we don't or do we just let her find out on her own?" Sirius whispered to Nadia fearfully, the girl shaking her head with uncertainty. They had to choose a path that wouldn't lead to their deaths, but which one it was remained unclear.

"How could you not have Brussel sprouts?" Camille asked in complete shock. "Oh what am I supposed to do now?" She whined with a shake of her head, her focus on the fridge and its contents giving James a chance to escape and hide behind Lily in fear of further retaliation coming from Camille.

"And ladies and gentlemen... We've lost her. Dinner will be late." Remus announced knowingly. The sauce was gone. If the sauce was gone so was the plan on what to cook. If the plan was gone they would starve a bit longer than they expected.

"But I'm hungry." Peter whined sadly, making Remus send him a sympathetic look. Sadly, they would all just had to endure. If things got too bad, maybe Nadia would let them eat Tybalt.