Chapter Forty Four

As the New Year passed, Nadia and Sirius jumped right into the wedding planning

As the New Year passed, Nadia and Sirius jumped right into the wedding planning. Nadia had even taken a break from her training at St. Mungo's to be able to put all her focus into her plans. Although, it wasn't really her idea, but instead something that Eloise had forced upon her. Being one of the many continuously wondering when the couple would get married, Eloise wanted no part in distracting Nadia from the important event.

And thanks to the chance to plan every detail without distraction and the help of their friends, all the pieces were falling into place. And to further prove it, the sound of the doorbell made Nadia jump in her spot in the hallway where she was currently giving in to Tybalt's demands for food. Checking the clock on the wall, her brows furrowed in confusion. It couldn't be...

"Who could that be?" Sirius peaked his head through the door of the bathroom, droplets of water falling to the floor and making Nadia send him a small scolding glare.

"I don't know. Go get dressed while I see, and please stop dripping on the floor you wet dog!" Nadia scolded, pushing him back into the bathroom as she passed by the door on her way to see who was ringing their doorbell. As another knock sounded through the flat, Nadia sped up, jogging through the hall and quickly checking the peephole to see who stood on the other side. As she saw the person, she let out a happy squeal, flinging the door open as quickly as she could before flinging her arms around the newcomer.

"It's lovely to know I've been missed." The voice of her father made Nadia's smile widen even more as he hugged her back tightly. Not even the sound of Sirius' approaching footsteps in the hall behind Nadia made the father and daughter duo pull apart.

"You really haven't, she's just acting to spare your feelings right now Konstantin." Sirius announced, a small chuckle accompanying his words that made Nadia finally turn to him so she could send him an unamused glare.

"Sirius, always a pleasure to see you." Konstantin laughed as Nadia stood aside so her father could enter the flat, and as he did, he and Sirius were quick to exchange a handshake.

"Well, I have missed you so it's understandable." Sirius nodded his head, holding back his smile as he saw Nadia send him another glare.

"Oh shut up! He's my father!" Nadia scolded her fiancé, even though the tiny smile on her face indicated that she too was keeping her amusement, caused by Sirius' words, at bay. But instead of letting it show, Nadia pulled on her father's arm, leading him over to the living room while Sirius followed after the two Volkovs.

"Well, soon enough he'll be mine too." Sirius pointed out as the three took their seats, but the comment was met with sharp looks sent his way from both Nadia and Konstantin. "So, when can I start calling you dad?"

"Sirius, I may like you, but no." Konstantin deadpanned without hesitation, the retort spreading their laughter through the room, but Konstantin soon turned serious again, his eyes looking towards his daughter. "You're really getting married. My little girl is all grown up." His sentimental voice made Nadia's laughter die down too.

"Come on dad, you know I'll always be your little girl. And there's still a week to go before the wedding." Nadia said gently. There was nothing that could change that, not growing up, not getting married or anything else that may come their way. They were a family, the only change would be that Sirius would now join it officially.

"The only reason I'm letting this happen is because I approve of your choice." Konstantin commented jokingly, sending Sirius a pointed look as if saying 'Don't mess it up'.

"And if you didn't?" Nadia questioned with a laugh, genuinely curious about what her dad would do if he didn't like Sirius.

"Then I'd be here to take you away back to Russia with me and lock you in a tower." Konstantin was completely confident in his words, making Nadia and Sirius laugh loudly. Neither doubted that the father would do just that if the situation called for it. Luckily, it didn't.

"Well let's hope neither of us ever have to be locked away in a tower." Nadia said jokingly, shaking her head in amusement at her father. Of course he'd invent the most dramatic way of keeping her from getting married. She was afraid to ask how long he actually knew that is how he'd do it.

"Oh, before I forget. I have something for you two." Konstantin announced, standing from his seat and rushing back to his travel bag which had been set down by the front door and forgotten in their flurry of reunions.

He dug through it for a couple of moments, Nadia and Sirius giving him curious looks while they remained seated. But it wasn't long before Konstantin finally found what he was looking for and made his way back to the couple, a single envelope grasped in his hand. Konstantin handed the envelope to Sirius who accepted it as quick as a flash of light once he noticed the writing on top of it. It was addressed to both himself and Nadia and as she saw too, Nadia moved from where she sat and positioned herself on the arm rest of Sirius' chair as he opened the letter.

Dear Sirius and Nadia,

I know we agreed to wait until things settle down before exchanging letters, but I suppose this way doesn't really count. I wanted to tell you two that I'm okay, and am getting settled in Moscow well. The Orlovs have been more than kind and helpful for the most part. I've gotten a job in a wizard shop here, and even made some friends if you can believe it.

I also want to wish you two good luck on your big day and congratulations that it's finally happening. I was starting to think she would never marry you Sirius! And Nadia, I am happy to know that soon, I can officially start calling you a part of our family; the three of us.

I hope it all goes well and that we get to hear from each other soon, maybe even see each other too.

Love, Regulus

Nadia and Sirius read through the letter, smiles spreading over their faces as the words written in Regulus' handwriting registered in their minds. He was okay and he was safe. Of course, both Sirius and Nadia wished he could be there for the wedding, but knowing this was good enough for them. His safety was what mattered most. And with nobody here looking into his death or suspecting it, it was best if he stay away until the war was over and there wasn't any more threat to him.

"He's getting by quite well. Honestly, I think the only problem is Viktor's daughter Ksenia, and that isn't that bad." Konstantin commented, a small chuckle escaping his lips as he thought of the youngest Orlov and her continuous resistance.

"Why is she a problem?" Nadia asked curiously. She could remember meeting Ksenia when she went to Russia to speak with Viktor about joining the Order and helping them in the war, and while she seemed very open and outspoken, Nadia saw nothing wrong with the girl.

"You could say she's a bit opinionated." Konstantin announced not having to dive in too deep for Nadia and Sirius to understand what he meant by his words. It was expected that someone may have a question or two because of Regulus' past, but both knew the younger Black would get past it.

"She's just gotta get to know him better." Sirius said confidently. As the person who believed in his brother more than anyone else, Sirius knew that Regulus was on a new path, he just had to show it to others. What nobody knew was he'd soon get a chance to prove himself.

Published: 05th January, 2020

Great things ahead hehehe