Chapter Fifty Nine

Camille paced up and down her living room

Camille paced up and down her living room. She wasn’t sure if she was doing the right thing. She wasn’t sure what the right thing should even look like. Because none of this was right. But she couldn’t just turn on him. Not without giving him a chance to explain, a chance to perhaps fix things on his own and come clean. If he took that chance, then she knew there was still hope for her friend. The Peter she knew would never have done something like this. Camille just hoped the Peter she knew was still in there somewhere. 

The house was empty and Camille felt grateful for it. Her parents were out at work, but her brother had been harder to send away. In the end she had managed to convince Milo to take Elton for a walk, claiming that she had forgotten to do so that morning. Of course she hadn’t, but in the end it worked. And only minutes after Milo had left, the doorbell rung, the sound making Camille jump as her nerves skyrocketed even more.

For a few moments she just stared at it, unsure of what to do. She still had a chance to change her mind. Pretend she wasn’t home and when he left go straight to Dumbledore. Perhaps it would have been the wiser choice. But she couldn’t just turn her back on someone she considered a friend. And so Camille rushed to the door, unlocking it and pulling it open to reveal the light haired boy who stood on the other side. 

“Hey Camille, you sent an owl saying it was urgent? I came as soon as I could.” Peter said, a small smile on his face as he looked over her. But Camille could see something else, the hesitation in his eyes, the worry and the fear. He suspected… But it didn’t matter any more. She had to do this. Now or never.

“Yeah, come on in.” She said, trying to remain as calm as possible as she stepped back and let him walk past the entryway. She moved to close the door behind him, but not before checking the street, her eyes scanning in all directions in search of anything unusual. If Peter had any suspicion on why she called him here, she was worried he may have told someone. And also, she didn’t want Milo returning before he was planned, or Remus, who was supposed to meet with her later, coming earlier to surprise her. She needed to be alone to have this conversation with Peter.

“Are you okay Millie? You seem… off?” Peter questioned, following her as she quietly made her way into the living room. Camille was certainly unsure of how to bring up what was on her mind. She needed to be gentle about it. She didn’t want to scare him away. It would just make getting through to him much harder.

“I wanted to talk to you about the last meeting Peter.” Camille brought it up, the words seeming like the simplest introduction into the topic. She turned towards him, watching as he sat down in one of the armchairs, his emotional eyes completely focused on her.

“Are you going to tell me why you disappeared? What made you leave so suddenly?” Peter asked curiously, but the tone of his voice, the way he asked, almost as if he were desperate to know the answer, gave Camille the final clue she needed. He was worried that she heard his conversation, and he was right.