Chapter Fifty Six

Nadia found herself smiling as she walked through the familiar white halls

Nadia found herself smiling as she walked through the familiar white halls. Of course, being back also ignited some sadness within her as she thought of her former mentor. Before she died, Eloise had drawn up and signed the papers proclaiming Nadia to be a fully trained Healer, permanently employed at St. Mungo’s. The new head of the hospital had told Nadia that her position would wait for when she was ready to come back to work. And now, Nadia walked towards Mr Simmons' office with just that intent.

Finally coming to a stop in front of the familiar door, Nadia hesitated for a moment. The name on the sign was now different and she couldn't help but wonder how much has changed inside too. It was odd to think of Eloise's former office looking any different. However, Nadia knew she couldn't let something as simple as that stand in the way of what she was about to do. And so with one final breath to compose herself, Nadia knocked.

The muffled sound of someone calling out from inside, telling her to come in gave Nadia the last nudge she needed. There was no turning back now. And so she pushed the door open only moments later and walked inside, greeting the Healer as she did.

"Mrs Volkov, this is a pleasant surprise." Mr Simmons set aside the quill with which he had been writing as he looked at her. There was a hint of a smile on his face, mixed with curiosity caused by her appearance.

"I hope I'm not interrupting." Nadia said, leaving the door open as she stood beside it in case he sent her away. It would be embarrassing if she made a move to sit in the chair opposite his desk, expecting a conversation only for him to dismiss her if he didn't have the time for one.

"Not at all." Mr Simmons assured her with a shake of his head as he stood from his chair and moved towards her with an extended hand. Politely, Nadia grasped it within her own, lightly shaking it before letting go. "Please, take a seat. How can I help you today?"

"Well, I was curious as to whether the offer you gave me back when I was, uh… Staying here, whether it was still a possibility, sir?" Nadia asked, once more not wanting to make overly confident, and possibly false, assumptions.

"If you're referring to Ms O'Brien's decision to appoint you to the Magical Bugs wing, then of course it does. The position is still available and waiting for you." Mr Simmons spoke with ease and Nadia felt grateful. She knew that, in reality, he had no obligation to keep the position open for her, so she was thankful for the fact that he did.

"The letter she left didn't disclose what the position actually is. What all would it entail?" Nadia wondered out loud. The Magical Bugs wing was quite a big one, dealing with all kinds and sorts of magic related illnesses and maladies as well as their treatments. Nadia was curious to know what exactly she'd be working on and dealing with.

"Now, as I am sure you know, the Magical Bugs wing has its own research department." Simmons began to explain. Of course, Nadia did know. The research area had basically become her own personal office when her work on the Dragon Pox cure first started. "Ms O'Brien believed you'd be a good addition to the team of Healers and Mediwitches working on finding and improving remedies for magical illnesses."

Nadia's lips spread out and formed a small smile of happiness. Of course Eloise would suggest placing her there. As her mentor, the blonde had been in a perfect position to hear all of Nadia's ideas and suggestions, fueled by her knowledge of both wizard as well as Muggle medicine.

"Ms O'Brien had copies of your Dragon Pox research, and based on what what I read in those, I agreed that this position would be best. However , if you'd prefer something else, all can be discussed." the Healer's words made Nadia realize that she had suddenly turned silent as she got lost in her thoughts.

" No, no, no! There's no need for any changes or discussions." Nadia shook her head quickly. "I am more than happy with this position." She added on with a smile. After all, it was one of the positions she was hoping to get when she was still a trainee.

"I am happy to hear that." Simmons let out a small chuckle, amused by her quick response to his suggestion. However, soon after he turned serious again. "Now I understand that during your training period, you and Ms O'Brien had a certain agreement in place about other… Activities you were a part of." He added on, his voice more quiet than before to avoid risk of being overheard. Nadia didn't have to hear him say the words 'Order of the Phoenix' to know it was what he was referring to.

"We did, but I assure you sir, there is no need for that this time around." Nadia quickly stated, not wanting to jeopardise the possibility of getting her dream job because she didn't seem focused or dedicated enough. She knew that now that she would be a full time Healer and not just a trainee, she needed to put in the time and make it one of her top priorities if she wanted to succeed.

And it wasn't as if her promise was false or a lie either. She had spoken with Professor Dumbledore a few days prior to coming here, after making the decision to officially take a break from all Order business. She didn't feel ready to rejoin the fight. Even her dreams had been replaced with nightmares of her time spent with the Death Eaters, resulting in the brewing of a sleeping potion that allowed her to sleep through the nights. And in turn, allowing Sirius to do the same. Right now, the Order wasn't where Nadia belonged.

"Alright then, but I just want to clarify that should the need rise again, you don't have to consider it as a choice between the two. As I said, things can always be discussed and arranged." Simmons stated openly. While he himself wasn't a member of the Order of the Phoenix despite knowing of the organisation, his job was demanding enough already, he still admired their mission and achievements.

"Now come, let me show you where and who you'll be working with." He announced, his tone once more chipper and pleased as St. Mungo’s got yet another talented employee. He stood from his seat, moving towards the door and motioning for Nadia to follow him.

She did so without any hesitation, excited to meet the people she'd be spending her time with. As they walked through the halls, Nadia listened to Simmons as he told her about the ongoing research which was underway at the moment. And as she listened to him, Nadia came to a one conclusion. While she doubted she belonged with the Order right now, there was no doubt about this in her mind. She was meant to do this, Nadia was certain of that more than ever before.

Published: 04th March, 2020