neighbors

You turned your back on the stove for just a minute to look at the recipe but as soon as you did your fire alarm went off, like it always does around this time every morning. You stood up on your tiptoes and waved the dish towel in front of the alarm but it didn't seem to stop it.

So you quickly ran over and grabbed a stool to stand on. You reached up and pulled the alarm off the ceiling, quickly pulling the batteries out for a few seconds before putting them back in and hitting the reset button.

You groaned at our now burnt breakfast. You threw it down the garbage disposer, stopping a few seconds later when there was a knock on your apartment door. It's not a surprise to you though; you figured it was only a matter of time until one of your neighbors got aggravated by you setting the alarm off every morning. You've only lived here for a few weeks now but you hoped that they wouldn't get too annoyed by you.

You opened the door to find Jade, your next door neighbor in front of you, her hand poised to knock on the door again. She smiled and dropped her hand to her side, smirking at you slyly. "So, heard the fire alarm going off again." You groaned and she just laughed. "You okay?" You nodded.

"Yeah. Unfortunately, I've burnt my breakfast like everyday since I moved in just a few weeks ago. But other than that, yeah, i'm just dandy." Jade grinned and put her hand on your shoulder. "Yeah, y'know, I hear you setting that thing off everyday. Maybe you should come over to my place soon and let me make you breakfast." You blushed but agreed.

"I'd love that." You both stared at each other for a moment, neither of you really sure what to do or say next, until Jade decided to take a leap of faith. "You know what? I was actually about to go to that little diner around the corner. they serve really great breakfast. Would you like to join me?" You bit your lip, trying to hide the wide smile from showing but it was impossible.

"I'd really love that." Jade was so relieved to hear you say yes. "Cool. Maybe like ten minutes from now? I'll go get ready and we can walk there?" You nodded your head, trying to play it cool until you closed the door and leaned back against it. You've been hoping she'd ask you out someday, and while you didn't know if this was exactly a date, you couldn't wait to see what the morning would hold.