【39】All Me, Then

The next day, it seemed that the silent agreement to ignore each other was still ongoing between Lex and me, and the day unfolded much like the one before

The next day, it seemed that the silent agreement to ignore each other was still ongoing between Lex and me, and the day unfolded much like the one before. It felt childish to resort to such techniques, but it worked, and I needed to keep a straight head.

It wasn't as if we usually were extremely talkative, but we normally communicated for the app, the usual greetings, and such. Still, the silence between us was clearly a sign we were both holding back. I had no desire to interact, nor did he.

A week had passed since our inebriated kiss, and none of the tension had faded. I was still jumpy, and his presence still made me uncomfortable. This, and the fact that I couldn't shake Kate's suggestion out of my head.

Like she'd said, I'd never had a "sex thing" before. It didn't work like this for me. Now, Lex was changing all that. Of course, I was tempted to follow Kate's instructions. Curiosity was slowly killing me. I was dying to know what it would feel like to be to have sex with him. He could send sparkles and shivers through my whole body with a simple touch. How intense would it be if we were to let loose? How powerful would the sensations be if we ended up naked in a bed? It seemed I might not even survive this much intensity.

Regardless of all the questions that were eating me from the inside, I was still adamant I had to hold firm for a few more days. I loved this job, these new people, this city... No "sex thing" was worth putting all this in jeopardy. Not even Alexander Coleman.

When it was time to leave on Friday evening, I was ridiculously proud of myself. I'd done it! There had been no jumping Lex and assaulting him on his chair. This girl deserves a cookie. A double chocolate one from the box I bought yesterday.

Struggling to hide my proud smile, I packed my things and turned off my computer. "Enjoy your weekend," I wished Lex, avoiding eye contact. Not waiting for his response, I stood up and took a step toward the door.

"Andrea, wait a moment," he ordered behind me. Or at least, it sounded like an order, until he spoke again. "Please."

Worry invaded me, and I froze. Knowing it must have been serious, I slowly turned around to see him coming around our desk as he removed his glasses to set them down on its corner. He reached me and stood before me awkwardly. It seemed strange to see this man, usually so confident, acting as uneasy as me. I could see he was trying to find a way to say something, racking his brain for a proper combination of words.

I already knew this wasn't about work. It was about us. The thought shook me a little. There was no 'us'. There was him, there was me, and there was a steamy kiss. It didn't make an 'us'.

As much as I wanted to avoid looking at him, I couldn't help it, and when he raised his hand to pass it nervously through his hair, I marveled at the way his biceps flexed before my eyes were drawn to his waist, where the shirt had lifted just enough to reveal a band of tempting skin, flashing the tight muscles of his lower abdomen, and the light patch of dark hair there. I felt my throat dry, and I forced myself to look back up, feeling my skin warm up.