Chapter 2

It had been a long time since her bed had been truly warm when she woke. But it was, and she was thoroughly satisfied with it. Even if it was just a small fox who had caused it.

She opened her eyes, finding scarlet eyes staring back at her and watching her sleep. She blinked a few times before yesterday's events returned to her.

"Good morning Akeno." Mikky yawned. The fox answered by licking her once on the tip of her nose, as if it didn't know if the cat would be okay with a wild animal dragging its tongue across her face.

Thankfully, the cat didn't seem to care, and looked ready to fall back to sleep at any moment.

Akeno took this as a sign that she should wake her new companion herself. Now licking the cat's face repetitively. She grumbled, blowing air out quickly to try and scare the little fox off. After quickly recoiling, the little fox plowed her head into Mikky's face, pushing against her to try and get her up. Mikky groaned in response, rolling onto her back and picking the small creature up, suspending her in the air above her.

The creature's back legs still touched her stomach as her tail wagged across the cat's body, leaving a pleasant warmth wherever it touched.

"I like to sleep, you know. I think I deserve that after saving you." Mikky retorted.

Akeno yipped, her mouth hanging open in a playful pant, like she wanted to play or cause trouble of some kind. This little animal wanted entertainment, and it had no intention of letting the cat go back to sleep.

"I heard keeping a fox for a pet was trouble, but if this is how every morning is going to start then I don't want it." The cat growled. "How about we get breakfast, and change your bandages?"

The fox closed its mouth and looked at her curiously, like she had just said the magic word before pulling backwards out of Mikky's grip, and jumping off her and the bed before heading into the kitchen. Mikky groaned and picked herself up, climbing out of bed and heading into the kitchen with a yawn where the fox was standing on one of the chairs with her paws on the table watching her come into the room. Mikky went to work, frying up some eggs and cutting a few thin strips of venison from the metal ice box before frying that up as well.

She stuck another piece of wood in the fire under her steel cooktop, and glanced over at the fox who was still patiently waiting. When she finished she made two plates, pushing the smaller one towards the fox who happily ate her food before watching as the cat slowly picked at her own food, clearly still tired.

Akeno's eyes looked across the woman's skin, taking in every curve and line of the tattoos covering her entire body but the left side of her face. It looked like the tattoos were spreading out from her white eye before taking over the rest of her skin.

"I don't suppose you'll let me go back to sleep now that you have food in your belly?" Mikky questioned.

Akeno answered by hopping onto the table and moving towards Mikky's empty plate before laying down in front of it, with her bandaged leg facing her. Mikky nodded and stood up, taking the plates with her where she left them on the counter before grabbing her medical supplies and returning to the table.

She gently removed the fox's bandages, and smiled as the wound looked much less irritated now than yesterday. She added more paste, and wrapped it up once again, giving the fox a quick pet on the head. "You're looking much better today. I'm sure that'll be all healed in no time at all."

The fox murred, then murred louder when she scratched under her chin before standing up once again. "Well, if you're not going to let me sleep, how about a bath then?"

The fox's ears perked up, and Mikky took that as a yes as she walked around the table with a smile, going back into her bedroom to get a change of clothes before heading out the front door as Akeno darted between her legs into the outdoors. The fox followed Mikky as she walked along a small path, carved into the dirt like it had been walked on a thousand times. It was a short walk up a small hill, when they came upon a river with a small swimming hole carved into the stone. Mikky hung her clean clothes on a low hanging branch, and stripped down, leaving her dirty clothes in a pile on a rock below the clean ones. She then made her way towards the river, climbing down into the water, where she sat on a submerged rock that could have been carved from the stone itself to be a bench.