Chapter 45

Minerva found herself standing in front of Edon's door with her hand ready to knock against the wood, but her body did not answer. She wanted to speak to her, knew in her heart that her feelings were real and that it had to be right. But even still, she was afraid.

Afraid to be hurt again.

Afraid to be abandoned again.

But she wanted it so badly. She wanted it so badly to be true.

Her knuckles tapped once against the doorframe like she was simply placing her hand against it. Like she was forcing her hand forward. As she expected there was no response from the other side as the wolf was probably on her balcony and not even in the room.

She took a deep breath, glared at the door itself and knocked loudly. "Edon? Are you sure you're feeling alright?"

She heard the door on the far side of the room close and footsteps move towards her door. A moment later and Edon opened the door to look at Minerva with a gentle smile. "I'm sorry if I was rude. I'm just frustrated."

"You have every right to be... Would you like to sit down and talk?" Minerva asked.

Edon stepped aside allowing the Queen to make her way into the room. Minerva seemed to pace for a moment, moving towards the bed before changing her mind and moving towards the love seat instead.

Edon's room was as grandoise as one would expect, and seemed to be another master bedroom. The bed was the centerpiece of the room with two huge windows against the back wall. There was a door in the center of the backwall that lead out onto her balcony. There was a love seat at the foot of the bed, and the two side walls were mostly bookshelves with a desk to right of the door and a table set up with an alchemy station to the left. The huge bed was covered in animal pelts both large and small, and there were several more pelts on the floor, stitched together to make a full rug. Even the love seat had what appeared to be a bear pelt over it.

Edon closed the door behind Minerva and followed her to the love seat, sitting beside her. "Is everything alright? You're the one who seems distracted."

Minerva sighed and put her face into her hands as she leaned forward. "My nature gets the better of me some times." She confessed.

"Are you thirsty? I did notice that you weren't drinking or eating at our meal. Is everything alright?"

Minerva chuckled and sat up. "No, I've had plenty to drink. I meant along the lines of my emotions."

"What Mikalya said is bothering you then?"

"Everything she said held truth. Why do we dance around each other so much? Why do we not simply tell each other how we feel?" Minerva sighed.

"I'm not sure. I think I'm simply too focused on my lack of power to really pay attention to anything else. If I seem uncomfortable around you I'm sorry."

"Do you not feel that way then?"

"I did not say that." Edon corrected, maintaining eyecontact with the vampire as she explained herself. "Like Akeno I can sense your emotions Minerva. I know the way you feel. When you look at me you're happy for a moment, then your heart fills with fear. Do I frighten you in some way?"

"You terrify me." Minerva confessed, shaking her head. "The only man I ever loved ended up betraying me the moment I refused his bidding. He abandoned me with a child I knew not how to raise, and took my kingdom out from underneath me. I lost everything in a matter of days that I barely managed to keep myself together. If not for Vincent I don't know what would have come of me."

"You're scared that the next person you fall for will treat you the same way then?"

"I'm terrified. I don't think you'd ever do something like that to me even if we were together. But I've heard about Akeno's past love and how she left him because she had her own duties to follow. I couldn't bare it if you left me for the same reason."