Chapter 8

Mikky walked around the town the next day, reverse pickpocketing gold and gemstones into people's pockets and bags. If they looked poor they got coin and with the beggars she happily handed gold coins, and continued her way down the streets with Akeno sitting on her shoulder.

People would take her hands and bless the ground she walked on as they handed them gold pieces. None of them had any idea that the gold was stolen, and none would likely know.

"Would it not make more sense to do this over a longer period of time, rather than hand it out quickly?" Akeno asked.

"These people came to the markets completely broke, and will be leaving with some coin in their pocket. Since not all of them know that they've been given money, they likely won't try and spend it right away. Plus, poor people will use the money on food and water, not luxuries, which lowers the chances of them attracting the guards." Mikky explained, before slipping three gold coins into someone's bag.

"Would the guards not begin to take notice at all?" Akeno questioned.

"They will eventually, but they won't be able to do much since it will likely be too late by then." Mikky smiled. "They have no proof that they got the money from that shop, and won't be able to do much about it."

"YOU!" Came a man's voice. Mikky turned and looked as the shop keeper she robbed sprinted through the crowd pointing a finger at her. "I know it was you who robbed me! Turn out your pockets now!"

"Robbed you?" Mikky questioned. "I'm afraid I don't understand, is everything alright?"

"You're that stupid Master Thief aren't you!? That's all you cats are good for, stealing and slaving!"

Mikky clenched her jaw and tightened her fists as Akeno snarled over her shoulder at the man. "I would appreciate it if you didn't speak to me like that when I'm still trying to piece together what happened to you."

"I was robbed! Someone broke into my store and took everything from my safe! You were the only suspicious character who entered my store that day so it had to be you! Turn out your pockets!"

A few guards made their way over as the crowd parted around them. "Is everything alright?" He asked, looking to the shopkeeper, and clearly ignoring Mikky.

"I'm not sure what he-"

"She robbed me last night! She broke into my store and took all of my belongings out of my safe!" He shouted. "She cheated me in my shop yesterday, and gave me a worthless ruby for one of my best pieces too!"

Mikky just blinked, biting her tongue for the moment.

The guard looked back at her with a glare. "Turn out your pockets, and empty your bag."

Mikky glared, realizing that she wasn't going to win any sort of argument with these people. They didn't ask for any proof or her side at all, just assumed her guilt due to the ears on top of her head.

Mikky complied, turning out her pockets revealing some small tools and a small pouch of coins. She then simply turned her bag over, and dumped it's contents on the ground. But only an apple and a few pieces of dried meat fell from her bag.

"Are you satisfied?" She questioned.

"Where's my bracelet! I want it back!" The shopkeeper yelled.

"I traded you for it already. The sale is over."

"You give me back my belongings you worthless-"

"Are you done assaulting my associate then?" Came Minerva's powerful voice as she pushed through the crowd. Though, it was much more accurate to say the crowd pushed through itself to avoid her like the plague as she made her way up and stood beside Mikky, her eyes burning holes into the guard's armor.