Chapter 46

Akeno grinned as she sunk into the bathwater. The water quickly steaming as her body dipped under. She let out a groan of content, watching as Mikky climbed in on the other side of the tub.

Minerva had allowed them to take baths in her "royal" bathing area. The large steel tub was lowered into the ground and could easily fit eight to ten people. The water was lowered in by a small piping system that brought it from outside the castle. It was heated with a fireplace that could be accessed by a small staircase on the far side of the room. Though it mattered little with Akeno involved.

"Is this not the greatest? I love living here!" Akeno smiled happily.

"We've only been here for a few hours." Mikky rolled her eyes. "You make it sound like we've been here the whole time."

"Have we not been here multiple times? Do you not enjoy living here?" Akeno teased, her tail wagging under the water.

"Yes, but we don't live here."

"Yes we do! We're staying here for now. We can think of something else to do later, but we're going to stay here and make sure that the city is safe!" Akeno explained, matter of factly.

"I get it, I get it." Mikky sighed. She knew better than to argue with the fox, she'd never win. "Do you think Minerva helped Edon feel better? She looked really defeated when she left dinner."

"I don't sense anywhere near as much discomfort as I did before." Akeno shrugged. "I'm sure Minerva knew exactly what to say to get her wolf all happy again."

"Are they like us? Or?"

"I wouldn't know. I also don't know if a God can possess another God." The fox's ears flicked as she thought about it. "I would imagine as long as Minerva's seals are intact Edon could possess her. But sealed or not, she's still a God."

"Aren't you less a physical being and more an entity anyway?"

"In a matter of speaking." Akeno shrugged. "Our bodies are real, but they can't be killed by normal means. They can damage us, but should they 'kill' us we just dissapate and regenerate. I wouldn't say that makes us an entity. We are corporial beings."

"But you can take a non-coporial form?"

"Yes... Well... Sort of. When I possess you, for instance, my body vanishes but my soul persists inside of your body. If it's unwelcome, our souls would struggle for control and space. When it's willing, its as if the souls are no longer separated but instead one single soul. I can materialize parts of my body should I need to, similiar to a shade though."

"What do you mean by that? Just like, stick an arm out of my face?"

Akeno chuckled. "It doesn't work like that. I can only reach out of your torso, since that's where our souls would be. I can lean out of your front or back, but no where specific. Though I think my body is occupying the same space as yours so I suppose I can separate our limbs. But I feel that would be redundant and likely just get in the way."

"It's like you're a ghost."

"Shade's can do all of the above and more. They can extend out of their hosts through their limbs and even change the host's body into weapons or pull them into the darkness with them."

"They sound more like a ghost." Mikky chuckled.

"Indeed. I find them to be a bit... creepier, if I'm honest."

"Those Shade's that attacked us were tricky. I still don't understand how they did what they did." Mikky looked down into the water.

"They attacked us through Star's shadow. They reached up from under him and dragged him into the darkness before we had a chance to react. By the time I prepared myself if I used my flame to cast away the shadows it could have severed the poor horse in half." Akeno shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry I couldn't do more."