Chapter 12

Mikky woke to warm hands on her skin. She raised her head from her pillow to see Akeno had raised the cat's shirt, and was tracing her fingers across her stomach, watching it intently.

"What are you doing?" Mikky asked.

Akeno glanced up for only a second, her right ear flicking a bit in her concentration as her tail waved across the bed. The Fox was straddling Mikky, sitting on her legs while her hands worked at the cat's stomach.

"I'm reading the weaves on your skin." Akeno answered, barely giving the cat any real attention.

"You couldn't wait till I was awake?"

"You and I will be leaving shortly to assist Minerva in dealing with the King." Akeno explained. "I was hoping to see the outcome in the weaves."

"You weren't successful?"

"Unfortunately not." Akeno leaned back with a sigh. "I can see a conflict with us all fighting, but I can't see the end result."

Mikky sat up in an attempt to be eye level with the Fox, only to find that with her sitting on Mikky's legs she was several inches above her, looking down at her with an unreadable expression. "Do you happen to have a plan for dealing with him that doesn't involve us murdering a whole bunch of people?"

"The guards will flee at the sight of the three of us. They won't want anything to do with The Master Thief, Minerva Stargazer, and a Fire Fox." Akeno explained, adjusting her jacket with a grin. "It's the King's trinket that's going to cause a problem."

"Trinket?"

"He holds an artifact that controls golden suits of armor that will attack us the moment he gives the order." Akeno sighed, her tail swaying back and forth across the bed and Mikky couldn't really tell if she was excited or nervous. "They shouldn't be able to withstand my flame, but they may be a challenge for you and Minerva."

"Minerva can use magic, I don't really have any sort of enchantment like that." She shrugged.

Akeno blinked, her mouth opening and closing twice before she turned her head away and lowered her ears.

"What's wrong?"

"I was going to offer my blessing, but I didn't know if you'd want it." Akeno explained.

"What does that entail?"

"It's simply me giving you the gift of flame and a resistance to illness and disease."

"Gift of flame?"

"You would be able to conjure flames at your will and would not be able to burn. Nor would the items you wear and wield. You could essentially light your weapons on fire at will." Akeno shrugged.

"What's the catch?"

"There is none." Akeno narrowed her eyes. "Why would there be? Is there something wrong with my blessing?"

"You wont be able to read my thoughts or sense my presence?"

"That's another blessing altogether." Akeno waved her off. "Dieties can bind their souls to living things turning them into vassels. If I did that with you it would link our thoughts together, as well as our bodies. You would gain all of my resistances like fire, curses, illness, disease, aging among other things. You would even be able to heal faster than you ever could. But we would share thoughts and I'm sure that's not something you would want."

"The benefits sound good. But I don't trust you with my thoughts." Mikky answered.

"If you nearly die in the conflict, perhaps I will make you my vassel to keep you alive?" Akeno raised a playful eyebrow.