Chapter 28

Mikky watched the streets from above, careful to remain unseen by anyone who made their way past. She didn't know how badly Shiva had devolved into a mindless creature, but she wasn't going to take the chance of being seen.

She crouched low, staying beside a chimney and watching the market square as the last of the people finished putting away the items from their stalls. It wasn't until there was a single man stacking boxes in a cart did Mikky leap across the roof top to get closer to him, just incase she needed to be at his side in a moment.

Her ear tilted to the light tap of Akeno's boot touching the tile roof as she knelt beside her. "Anything yet?" The fox whispered, her tail swaying across the rooftop silently.

"Nothing yet." Mikky answered, her eyes still darting around the dark courtyard. Another man made his way around the marketplace, lighting the lanterns and waving to the first man who was almost done packing up. "Can't you talk in my head?" Mikky questioned.

"I figured since I was right next to you it wouldn't hurt." Akeno smiled. "I'm going to move to the other side of the market. I'll let you know if I spot anything. Minerva should be around here somewhere."

"So should Edon." The cat answered, her own tail flicking as she stared down below.

Akeno leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on Mikky's cheek before silently moving across the roof and disappearing from Mikky's senses. A few moments later Mikky glanced at a shadow leaping across the rooftops on the opposite side of the market before two scarlet eyes stared back at her through the dark. Mikky's eyes darted back down at the street that was now mostly lit from the lanterns. The first gentleman had finished packing boxes and dragged the cart away, leaving the lantern man the only one in the street below as he continued to do his job.

"Mikky, there's someone on the North side, behind the clothing stall." Akeno's voice called in Mikky's mind.

Mikky's eyes darted in that direction, watching as a figure seemed to shuffle and throw things behind the counter of the stall. It stood up and ripped a cloth off the top of the stall before red eyes locked on the lantern man.

"It's a vampire." Mikky answered back, drawing her bow and notching an arrow. "Can you get to her?"

Akeno lept off the rooftop just as the vampire darted from the stall, breaking part of the counter with her foot as she charged forwards with an animalistic snarl. Akeno landed in front of the lantern man her hands catching fire as the vampire, revealing itself to be Shiva reached her hands forward to attack her. The fire solidified into the same staff Mikky had retrieved for Camelia, and Akeno swung it low, slamming it into Shiva's stomach, lifting her off her feet, and throwing her onto her back.

Shiva snarled and flailed on the ground, getting back onto her feet like a rabid dog as Akeno held her hand out as if to shield the man who was holding his lantern stick like a weapon. "Quickly now!" Akeno called. "Run. I'll deal with her!"

"Thank you my lady!" He answered before turning and sprinting away.

Shiva roared at Akeno, but didn't dash forwards again like she knew it would only end the same way. Akeno was holding her staff at her side, behind her right hip while her other hand had moved in front of herself as if for balance. Her stance was low, and she was clearly ready for a fight. Mikky wondered if she intended to beat Shiva into submission first. She assumed that Akeno had to get close to Shiva before she could cure her, and that Akeno wasn't as physically strong as a vampire.

As Mikky steadied her arrow on the vampire, she realized the state of her attire. Shiva wasn't wearing shoes, though it looked like she had the remnants of a dirty sock on her left foot. It was mostly just torn fabric wrapped around her ankle and over one of her toes. Her other foot was completely bare, and both of them were covered in scars. Her pants were basically rags, barely covering her hips with the right leg being a foot or so longer than the other but still torn apart. She was wearing a long sleeved blouse, though the stomach and waist portion was completely missing, and the right sleeve was torn off. Her left arm was torn just below her elbow, and there was a large hole on the shoulder. Her hair was matted around her chin like it had been cut unevenly, like with what was left of her humanity she tried to give herself a haircut. She had scars and cuts along most of her visible skin.