Chapter 7

Mikky waited patiently for an hour or so after sundown. She waited patiently until all the shops were closed, and the streets were mostly empty. She climbed up some boxes and onto the rooftops, jogging across with Akeno holding on tightly to her shoulder.

Her tattoos had returned, and her eye had returned to its white color. If she was to be seen, she wanted to be seen as the Master Thief after all.

She stopped on top of the jewelry store and smiled down at the darkened windows. She was also glad to see that he clearly did not live in the back room, since hopping down into the back alley revealed his store to be rather small compared to some of the others. She made her way up to the back door, pulling out her lockpicks where she went to work on the lock itself, leaving her cat ear to the door just to make sure no one was home.

When the lock clicked into place, she quietly pushed it opened.

"Ready?" Mikky whispered.

"What would you have me do?" Akeno asked.

"Don't make a sound, and look around for anyone. If people are looking, they'll be much less likely to notice a smaller animal as opposed to a person. If you need me, just call." Mikky answered.

Akeno leapt off Mikky's shoulder and darted into the darkness. "Understood."

Mikky herself crept forward, moving down the short hallway with both her hands tracing both walls. She opened the door on the left, which entered into a washroom. She moved over to the door on the right and found it to be a very strong lock. She glanced down the hallway finding the door to the shop itself slightly opened, with scarlet eyes staring back at her through the darkness.

"The store itself is clear, but there are guards patrolling outside. They don't seem to have an interest in this store however." Akeno explained.

Mikky nodded, not wanting to answer if she didn't have to, before taking her lockpicks out again and getting to work on this door. It took a few seconds longer than the last one, but she quickly got it opened regardless. She slowly pushed it opened, revealing what was certainly the back room she had seen earlier, complete with the heavy metal safe pushed into one corner.

She entered the room, glancing around at all the small boxes of jewels and gemstones ready for appraisal. The desk against the wall was littered with papers as well as a letter from the King himself, instructing him to send a small percentage of his profits to the King himself as a tax for the King's Seal which gave him immunity from most petty crimes. Escentially, the man could rob people blind, and the guard would let him get away with it.

Mikky let out a low growl before turning to her goal, the heavy safe. She knelt in front of it and pressed her furry ear to the door as she gently, and very slowly began turning the dial.

Click. Click. Click.

The door swung open with a quiet squeak, and she was quickly staring into three short shelves, loaded with gold coins and several rather large sized gemstones. She grinned, reaching over and picked the ruby she had given him only a few hours ago, off the shelf before sticking it back into her jacket pocket. She then filled her satchel with what she could carry and smirked almost devilishly.

"Not bad for a cat, right?" Mikky whispered, if only to herself. She stood up and closed the safe, heading out the door and locking it behind her before leaving through the back door, locking that as well. As she turned away from the door, Akeno climbed from her leg up to her shoulder, wrapping her tail around the cat's neck like a fuzzy necktie.

Her bag was heavy, and made quite a bit of noise when she moved so she took to the rooftops as fast as she could to prevent guards from hearing it as she made her way past.