Chapter 32

Akeno glanced through the doorway at Mikky who was sitting on their bedroom's balcony just outside the window. Minerva had been kind enough to move them into a much fancier room with a wardrobe that Mikky could leave her gear inside and keep locked. So the cat sat on the railing with her feet dangling hundreds of feet in the air wearing one of Vincent's outfits.

Of course, Akeno certainly wasn't complaining. Mikky looked very dashing in the fancy dress shirt and black vest with bronze embroideries. Even her pants had those same bronze touches to them, and her boots were just as fancy. She was wearing her own belt so her daggers sat nicely on the back of her hips. Her tail swayed behind her, slightly lifting the back of her shirt.

The fox moved through the bedroom, gently knocking on the balcony doorframe as Mikky had left it opened. Mikky's ears turned towards the sound as she turned her head before smiling softly, bouncing an apple between her hands before looking back towards the city. They had gotten a nice view this time, able to see over the castle wall and out towards most of the cityscape. They could see the billows of smoke coming up from fire places, and it gave Mikky a good place to brood.

"Are you well?" Akeno questioned.

"I'm concerned." Mikky answered after taking a bite and setting her hands and the apple in her lap.

"Of what?" Akeno made her way forward, putting her hands on the railing and leaning forward to watch Mikky's expression. The tattoo-less side of Mikky's face looked out on the city with a solumn expression, like there was something invisible there that was poisoning the world around her. The cat brushed some hair behind her ear with her left hand, still holding the apple tightly in her right.

"I'm not used to having people look to me for answers, and I know these people aren't just going to love me overnight. Escpecially considering I don't think most of them deserve being saved." Mikky confessed, her ears folding back against her head.. "But... for some stupid reason, even though they treated me like trash, I still want to help them."

"Your heart is wounded Mikky. That does not mean you are broken. That does not make you any less human." Akeno gently placed her hand on Mikky's knee as she carefully watched her expression. The cat looked down at Akeno's hand, still holding her saddened expression as she listened to what Akeno had to say. "You may dislike them, you may even hate them..." Akeno moved her other hand to Mikky's chest, pressing her hand to the cat's heart. "But deep down, you know that you are better than they are. You know that they do not deserve to suffer for their ignorance, and you wish to teach them of their wrong doings."

"But they don't listen." Mikky answered, barely managing to prevent her voice from cracking.

"And they may never. It was you who taught me that some people can't change. Some will try, most will succeed. But others are set in their ways and must be forced on a different path."

"You mean to tell me that you blindly trusted people even after you were kidnapped?"

"You showed me a man who cared not for your actions and only for the ears sitting on top of your head. He did not care that you killed a tyrant and hated you for lowering his stature, and blamed you as an animal for his misfortune. He did not rejoice in freedom, but felt he had been placed in chains." Akeno explained. "Had I not seen it, I would likely have still tried to convince him and people like him that you were a kind hearted person who was doing what was best for everyone involved. Instead, I've learned that he will likely never change his mind."

"I just... I wish people didn't see me as a monster." Mikky confessed. "I know I stole from people, but I never hurt anyone unless I absolutely had to, and I more often than not returned some of the things I stole to other people to make sure that they could get food to survive the night! Yet because I have ears on top of my head I'm some kind of monster? Or a slave?"