Chapter 29

Mikky had difficulty falling asleep, even with Akeno's weight on her chest. She stared at the ceiling while running her fingers through the fire god's hair, Akeno's head resting on Mikky's chest and the rest of her body acting as a blanket for the cat. She didn't remember when Akeno moved because she was sure she fell asleep on the other side of the bed, but honestly she couldn't complain.

Akeno's presence was a perfect warmth that Mikky was glad to have. It was as though she was sleeping next to a campfire burning at the perfect temperature. The ambient warmth seeping into her very bones and melting away all her unease.

Even with that however, sleep still faught against her. Her eyes were impossibly heavy, but something resisted. For some reason she didn't want to be asleep.

She exhaled deeply, and closed her eyes. Willing herself not to move as she listened to the soft breathing of the Fox on top of her. Akeno's ears twitched every so often, though they were mostly folded forward and out of Mikky's face.

Eventually, after an unknown period of time, Mikky managed to find sleep. Though her dreams were just as restless.

Once again she saw images of Merlin's tree with the same couple standing before it. The woman's face was blurred as the image was focused on the tree, even as the bark and leaves consumed the woman. But the man's face was clear as the vision shited to him as he went to run off. His hair was brown but his eyes were a bright blue that looked very magical and unnatural. His features were stoic in nature, giving him the appearance of a warrior, though he was wearing mage's robes.

"Take care of Sarah!" The woman called.

"I will!" He answered.

A different voice boomed in the background as the eyes of Merlin's face lit up a bright blue. "Sarah cannot be saved by magic. Only by stopping the clock may she be spared my curse!"

Mikky remembered him saying this before, but it stood out to her more this time as it went along with the idea that Alice could save Sarah by making her immortal. But the chances of her doing so were slim according to Minerva. Why would she want to help her? What reason could she have to try and save some woman she never met?

This time, instead of the vision ending it seemed to jump from the tree and back into the village of Yeager. Mikky reconized some of the store signs. She saw a few bodies laying in the street, and gold eyes staring down at her from the back of a black horse. The eyes turned to look at someone else, someone that Mikky couldn't see off to her right before there was a yell in pain as the gold eyes turned red.

The vision shifted once more, and Alice was craddling a woman in her arms. Mikky didn't reconize the woman, but from the electric blue eyes she assumed it to be Sarah.

When Mikky woke, she still felt just as tired as she did before she fell asleep, and had more questions than answers. She may have known that Alice was going to save Sarah, but she had no idea how or why. There was clearly a fight in the middle of the town, and she certainly didn't want anyone to get killed. She may be able to take a life but she never likes to.

Mikky glanced down, finding that Akeno was still where she was, and the sun was no higher in the sky than it was when Mikky first fell asleep. It could have been a few hours, and perhaps daybreak was just around the corner, but from Mikky's point of view no time had passed at all. She let out a deep sigh, not knowing what else she could do to fall asleep.

She wondered if Akeno had the power to put her to sleep? She probably did, though waking her up just to ask her to put Mikky to sleep seemed counter intuitive. Though, she was sure the fox wouldn't mind. She closed her eyes again and did her best to stay completely still to try and fall asleep. She must have managed to do so, as the next time she opened her eyes it was morning and Akeno was stretching out.