Chapter 42

"This is stupid." Mikky grumbled.

"Stop complaining and just try it." Akeno retorted.

"This isn't going to work."

"Only because of how much you believe it won't. Can you please trust me?"

Mikky sighed deeply and looked up at the fox who was sitting on top of her rock with her back to the stream by Mikky's home deep in the woods. Mikky herself was sitting on the gravel just before it. Both of them had their legs folded beneath them like they were meditating, but Akeno was the only one who looked like she actually was. Her fists touching in front of her stomach and her eyes closed.

The cat wasn't wearing her armor and instead was wearing a tight shirt and shorts like she was exercising.

The cat took another deep breath before closing her eyes and matching Akeno's pose. Akeno opened one eye to check on her and smiled finding that she was at least pretending to try.

"Just focus on your breathing for now. Keep it under control." Akeno called to her as her tail swayed behind her.

Mikky did not answer, but rather tried to do what she asked. She wanted to take her time with it knowing she had plenty of time to try. Akeno knew her emotions, knew what frustrated her and made her hate herself but didn't want to pull those emotions to the surface right away. She didn't know when the Goddess learned how to be a guru but she was grateful that she was willing to help her.

She thought for sure after that display the Goddess would have left her side to go off and find someone new, knowing that Mikky's heart was so filled with rage. Sure, Akeno was able to pull those emotions away but she didn't want to just do that all the time. She didn't want to be some crutch for Mikky to hold onto. She needed to learn to control her own emotions, and thankfully Akeno thought that was important, and something she wanted to help her work through.

So after arriving back home, Akeno let Mikky handle herself for about a month. Allowing her to try and find her own way forward. But after that month, rather than turn her back and take her leave, she told Mikky that they were going to do it her way. So for the last week the two of them had been meditating by the stream for a few hours every day to help Mikky clear her head.

The cat had been a willing participant up until now. But now she was starting to question the point. Nothing had really changed since she started and it was starting to frustrate her. She wanted her problems to just disappear even though she knew it was impossible. But she wanted to be happy. The only time she ever really felt that way was...

"Akeno?"

"Hmm?" Akeno raised an eyebrow and tilted an ear forward.

"Can you do this with me?"

"I'm right in front of you." Akeno answered.

"N-no. I mean... can you do it with me. Like before?" Mikky asked, not wanting to open her eyes to show Akeno that she was really trying her best. Mikky's ears heard as Akeno slipped off her rock and moved towards her.

"Me pulling your discomfort away isn't going to help you learn to control yourself." Akeno answered.

"I don't want you to do that. I just... when you're with me I feel like I can do anything." Mikky answered.

"I would prefer you do this yourself." Akeno answered as she sat right in front of Mikky, mimicking her pose.

"I want to do this myself." Mikky assured her. "I just..."

"I am right here." Akeno answered. "But you're more than just my vessel, and as much as I enjoy sharing your pain I think it will be best if you control it without my aid. I will guide you, but I don't want to be your easy out. If..."