Chapter 25

Mikky did not expect Akeno to actually wake her up early. Though she didn't know exactly what time it was, she felt as though it was far too early for her to be awake. Though that could have been because the bed was so comfortable.

However when the smell of something wonderful cooking floated under her nose, it stired her from her slumber. She rolled onto her back and patted the bed where Akeno had been to find her missing and her half of the bed made. She sat up and looked to the door where a few pans clanked together telling her that someone was cooking something.

She didn't bother with her armor, but she did pull her boots on and tuck a dagger into it as a reflex before making her way out of the bedroom. As soon as the door was opened she was greeted with dim lights, and the scent of a wonderful breakfast. She couldn't stop herself from taking a deep breath and letting out a soft pur in content. She looked to Akeno who was happily cooking with a bounce in her step as she moved around the kitchen. When Mikky moved towards the outside of the counter she grinned happily at the cat.

"Good morning! I was going to wake you when I was done." Akeno answered.

"I woke instead to the smell, so it was much better." Mikky answered.

"Unfortunately I have no chairs at the counter, we'll have to stand." Akeno confessed, moving the pan over the stone counter and pushing eggs and sausages out of it and onto two plates. She then returned to the stove and grabbed a second pan before pushing some crispy potatos off of it and onto the plates.

"You made a full breakfast then?" Mikky questioned.

"I ran into town earlier while everyone was setting up shop." Akeno confessed, moving a glass of milk towards her. "I was able to pick up a few things."

"They gave you free food?"

"They tried."

"Where did you get the money to pay for it then?" Mikky raised an eyebrow.

"I had a few gold from Minerva." The fox narrowed her eyes. "I do not steal."

"You stole a gem not long ago." Mikky noted as she tapped her chin. "You may have gained a taste for it."

"I think not." Akeno rolled her eyes before handing Mikky a fork and knife. The two began eating with minimal conversation. Mikky asked a few questions on the town, complimented the fox's cooking, and noted how the rooms were the perfect temperature for being a cave in the side of a mountain.

Akeno explained that magic heated the rooms, and Mikky was certain to believe it.

When they finished eating, Mikky finished her glass before watching Akeno for a few short seconds as she tried to decide what she wanted to say. Akeno finished not long after before collecting all the dishes and moving to the sink to clean them, her tail swaying behind her happily like there was no where else she'd rather be.

"Tell me... do you regret leaving him?" Mikky asked.

Akeno paused only for a moment before she went back to her task. "Of course I do. Escpecially now that I've decided to do the one thing I told him I wouldn't."

"If you could take it back, would you?"

"I don't know for certain. But I think I would." Akeno nodded. "If I had seen the outcome and knew more than I did then, I might have come to a different conclusion."

"Do you think you could fall in love again?"

"I know I could." Akeno nodded. "It's not hard to fall in love. It's hard to find someone who you'll spend eternity with. As much as I loved him, he was only mortal, and would have died in less than a hundred years."