Chapter 16

Mikky woke in the same position she had fallen asleep in with Akeno still pressed up against her back. When she went to move Akeno stirred, pressing her forehead into the back of her neck.

Glancing about the wall she could see, morning sunlight shone through the windowsil just by the bed, less than a foot from Mikky's head. The light itself was cast over their sleeping bodies as they were close enough to the wall to avoid it. But that sunlight did illuminate the room.

She traced her fingertips across the skin of Akeno's arms that were still wrapped firmly around her waist. Gently rubbing the skin as she waited. She wasn't sure why she felt the need to do so, but something about the situation made it seem right.

Akeno stirred again not but a few minutes later, turning her head a bit to yawn before she stretched her arms over Mikky's body, just barely touching the wall with her fingers as she did so. Mikky couldn't help but chuckle at the sight. "You seem more like a cat than I do."

Akeno chuckled a bit herself. "There is nothing better than a morning stretch." She answered before rolling away from Mikky where she picked herself up. As Mikky rolled over and watched Akeno's outfit seemed to straighten out its own wrinkles leaving her in the prisine set of clothing she had bought the day before. She looked like she had gone through her entire morning rutine twice and it was impossible to tell she had slept in those clothes.

"I suppose not." Mikky agreed before sitting up and moving to the edge of the bed. "I'll get ready and meet you down for breakfast. Then we can look around the forest and see if we sense anything related to Edon."

"Very well." Akeno nodded before leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

Mikky got cleaned up and dressed, pulling her gear back on as she headed out and down into the main dinning room where Akeno was seated and speaking to some of the people who had taken up resedence for the moment. When Mikky sat down at her side a maid brought over a plate of breakfast with a kind smile before moving to attend to the others who had gathered around to eat.

She ate without a word, listening as Akeno spoke to the people about the goings on in the city. They thanked her for everything she did, often looking towards Mikky as a silent thank you to her as well. When Mikky had finished eating and stood up, Akeno thanked them for their time before standing up beside her.

"Are you ready to go Mikky?" Akeno asked.

"I am. Let's be off." The Cat nodded. The two of them left the orphanage before heading out into the city, leaving the horse in the stables for now. They made their way towards the Western gate where they headed into the forest. Mikky glanced about, keeping her eyes peeled for anything interesting while Akeno seemed to be listening for something.

"Do you have any idea where they could be?" Akeno asked.

"I recieved little information from my chat." Mikky answered, stepping over a fallen log that was partially rotted away and covered in fungus. "And I've unfortunately forgotten most of the details after sleeping, though I don't believe she gave me many. I don't think she even knows where she is."

"Whomever or whatever trapped her wouldn't be able to move her very far, so she should still be trapped in her own territory." Akeno answered, looking about the ground.

"Do you know how big that is? Don't wolves usually cover hundreds of miles of forests with their pack?"

"It's likely that her territory stretches all the way to Yeager and beyond." Akeno noted.

"You've never been to Yeager." Mikky rolled her eyes.

"No, but I had the time to study several maps while you were away." Akeno smiled brightly. "I assume that she would control a fair bit more land than a simple wolf, with her being a Goddess after all."