Chapter 9

Mikky stared at the castle wall from the rooftop, wondering how she was going to scale it without too much noise or effort.

She settled on a rope arrow, lodged into the wood of the search tower. She drew back her bow and fired, watching the rope fly through the sky before the arrow slammed into the wood. She held the other end of the rope as she put her bow back over her shoulder and jumped off the roof.

Her feet slammed into the stone wall as she ran up, climbing the rope as she did. She made it into the watchtower, peeking over the balcony and finding no one inside before she climbed in.

She stayed low, following the low wall and avoiding lights and guards effortlessly. She jumped over the wall itself, hanging off the edge to allow the patrols to pass. She glanced down quickly, checking to see if she could see where Akeno had run off to, before pulling herself back onto the wall and continuing across it.

She leapt off one side towards the castle, falling a good twenty feet before rolling across the ground behind some barrels. One soldier glanced in her direction, hearing the impact before going back to what he was doing. She peeked her head and ears over the barrel, her ears flicking to other noises quickly before she darted towards the castle, bobbing and weaving effortlessly around the courtyard.

She glanced up at a window before leaping up to it, grabbing the windowsill itself and pulling herself up. She gently pushed the hatches and peeked inside. She found this room to be a servants quarters with most of the beds filled. Her tail flicked in excitement and she climbed in, pulling the hatch shut behind herself and moving silently into the room.

A younger gentleman sat up with cat ears flicking on his head before he stared straight at Mikky who quickly put a finger to her own mouth, and placed three gold coins on the foot of his bed. He nodded to her with a grin, snatching up the coins and giving her a thumbs up.

She smiled back and quickly made her way out of the servants quarters and into a huge hallway. The ceiling was at least ten feet up with a few wooden support beams above them with red tapestries hanging down from them. Suits of armor and statues as well as paintings lined the walls of this hallway.

Mikky wasted no time, sprinting into the wall across from the servants quarters and running up the wall a few feet before leaping off of it where she managed to grab one of the beams above her and haul herself up to where she couldn't be spotted. She made her way across the beams, following the hallway, her ears turning to every sound she heard.

She made out a few soldiers' voices, talking about how there was a sighting of a large animal running rampant in the city before it vanished, and that the captain of the guard wants more soldiers investigating.

Another group of soldiers entered the hallway from one of the rooms with purpose in their movements. They stopped in front of a wealthy looking man who stepped out. "You four!" He called. "Go guard the king's door!"

The soldiers saluted before sprinting back the way they came, with Mikky quickly following them from above. She had to jump down because they entered into what Mikky assumed was a staircase. She made her way in and quietly followed after the soldiers, careful not to alert them that they were being followed.

She peeked around the corner at the top of the stairs just in time to see them take their posts in front of a large double door. The short hallway was dimly lit, and she was sure that they would have difficulty seeing her if she played her cards right. She leaned back into the stairwell and took a deep breath before focusing.

She felt her body shrink down, swallowed by the magic of her old blood. In a few seconds she was sitting there as a black cat with her white eye. She turned the corner quickly and hugged the wall, staying out of the torchlight and hiding behind some of the tapestries.