Chapter 47

Mikky looked up at the floating castle above them, wondering how in the world magic could hold that huge thing in the sky without dropping it on the city below. She looked over at Akeno who's ears were folded down nervously. Her tail was swaying slowly, like she was on edge, and she was playing with the gold band on her ring finger.

The cat gently took her hand, holding it up between them with a smile. "It's going to be okay. You don't have to talk to her if you're not ready."

"I know... I'm just... I'm scared... She's a child, and I've never met her."

"We can just talk to her teachers, or even that Zealot. We don't have to speak to her." Mikky explained. "We can play it by ear."

Akeno nodded, swallowed nervously, then looked up at the castle above them. "Let's be quick about it then."

Mikky led Akeno through the city streets and towards the center of town. The two pillars at the center of the low garden hummed with a primal magical force neither of them quite understood. The purple web of light connected the two pillars together and crackled with magic. They stepped over the low grass and flowers before walking through the portal.

They arrived in a large entry room that was clearly some kind of lobby. There was a large staircase ahead of them that seemed to lead upwards into a tower, the walls lined with more portals. On either side of the staircase were hallways that stretched as far as the eye could see. Surrounding them in a perfect circle were ten more portals, each labled with a sign carved into the stone above them. They seemed to be parts of the school itself, with a library, a cafeteria, dueling arena and garden labled, amung others.

Akeno pulled Mikky up the stairs, ignoring a few people who walked past carrying books or staffs. They looked at them curiously, a few smiling and waving, while other's bowed their heads in respect. The Kitsune seemed to know where she was going, so Mikky didn't stop her. She pulled Mikky into another portal, and they found themselves standing in a large hallway, lit with blue flames casting an odd white light. She glanced around the hallway before seeming to pick a direction before walking forward.

They came up to a large wood and metal door before Akeno raised her hand to knock before pausing. Finally seeming to realize exactly where her path had led her. Mikky tightened her grip on the Fox's other hand, assuring her that she was there and that everything would be fine. Akeno steeled herself again and knocked on the door.

A moment passed, and Mikky thought Akeno was preparing to break into a run and change her mind. However when the door finally opened she was met with a confused looking woman. The woman had red hair and bright purple eyes and was wearing a fancy purple robe with white accents.

Mikky had never met a succubus before, as they weren't exactly common even in Exodious. But she had never been more sure that she would have remembered meeting one until her eyes met the woman in front of her. It was as though every part of her being was head over heels for the woman in front of her. If she was a fool, she likely would have simply fallen for the magic even though it was clearly unintentional.

The succubus glanced between the two of them curiously. "Can I help you two?"

"Are you Aileena?" Akeno asked.

"Indeed I am. And you are?" The succubus questioned, adjusting the collar of her robe. She pulled it up a little higher, perhaps realizing Mikky's internal plight and trying her best to remedy it. The cat wondered how Akeno could fare so well. Perhaps her divinity made her immune?

"My name is Akeno. I'm the Fire Fox of Krate. And this is Mikayla, but most people know her as the Master Thief." Akeno offered, motioning to Mikky, who smiled and waved nervously.