Chapter 18

Akeno watched in silence as Mikky meditated on the ground. Her legs were crossed and her eyes closed as she focused intensely on Edon and where she could be located.

The fox's eyes scanned the forest, waiting for any other wolves to come running to attack them but thankfully nothing did. She paced around the cat in a large circle glancing back to her on occasion but making sure her focus was on their surroundings. Eventually she found the cat to be the center of her focus and she began making her way closer.

She encircled her, watching to see if Mikky would take notice of her, but she was completely still. So Akeno sat in front of her and matched her pose. She glanced at Mikky's arms curiously, examining the tattoos that crossed her skin. While in the cat's body some of her tattoos turned red to match Akeno's flame, but the tattoos seemed to have returned to normal. She glanced down at her own arm and found it blank like it always was.

Mikky opened her eyes to a solum expression on Akeno's face as she was looking at her own arms in her lap. She raised a curious eyebrow. "Akeno? Are you alright?"

"Gods usually receive markings across their bodies when they feel they belong. Like they've completed their goal and are now at peace."

"You don't have those markings." Mikky noticed.

"I do not." The fox looked up at Mikky with almost sad eyes. "I have not found where I belong. Even in Krate I feel as though there is somewhere else I'm meant to be."

"Where are you going with this?"

"No where I suppose... I just..." She sighed deeply, looking back down at her hands. "It's difficult to explain. I wish to feel as though I belong."

"Do you not want to return to Krate?"

"I need to, if only to make sure it is safe. But then... Then I may leave and explore the rest of the world."

"You won't stay? Then what's the point in taking you back there?" Mikky raised an eyebrow.

"It's where my mistress expects me to be. I want to see how well Krate is defended, then I may explore. It's not a certainty." Akeno answered before shaking her head. "No. I have a duty. I suppose it's too much to ask for to be able to leave."

"You're allowed to do whatever makes you happy. You don't have to stay in Krate if you don't want to."

"But my-"

"If your Mistress truly cared about you she would understand." Mikky interrupted. "You're not obligated to do anything for her. You chose to out of the kindness of your heart. But if your home is well protected and safe, then you shouldn't have to worry about it."

"I suppose you have a fair point." Akeno looked down at her arms in thought. "I suppose I'll never know where I truly belong until I take the steps."

"Your markings wont appear just because you've made a decision. You have to genuinely feel like it's the right thing to do I'm sure."

"You're correct... Anyways, did you find Edon?" Akeno looked back at the cat, trying to change the subject. The two of them stood up when Mikky nodded and pointed deeper into the forest.

"There's a lake a short distance that way. Apparently she is sealed in a cave beneath it." Mikky explained. "Since Lupa is not going to be visiting her at any point, we should hurry so she isn't alone more than necessary."

"Then let's be swift." Akeno nodded, turning away from Mikky to head towards where she pointed. Mikky followed after her and the two of them made their way through the forest. The only sounds were the birds above them, and the sound of the crinkling leaves under their feet. Mikky kept her eyes and ears on their surroundings. Everytime a woodpecker started jabbing at a tree it would echo for what seemed like miles, and Mikky didn't quite know where it was located. She didn't know if she should be cautious of it.