Chapter 43

Minerva stared out at the western gate with her arms crossed as she watched her guardsmen and soldiers begin to reinforce it. She waved her hand over it and the heavy wooden latch fell shut, locking the gate itself in place as the guards went to set it down before turning and saluting her before rushing back to aid with whatever they could.

Vincent stepped up beside her, his hand on the hilt of his sword as he looked up at the gate. "Would it not make more sense for you to be up there too? To blast the thing to pieces before it makes it to the wall?" He asked his mother curiously.

"I wish I could be, but I need to oversee everything at once, and I can't do that while lobbing magic missiles at the creature. That, and Edon mentioned that there could be several of them." She sighed. "As much as I want to make sure none of my soldiers get hurt, I also have to make sure nothing makes it into the city to kill the innocent people behind us."

Vincent nodded. "Why would Blood Dragons make their way here? Are they not supposed to be mindless?"

"They are supposed to be." Minerva agreed. "I've never heard of them working together, let alone making an almost coordinated attack like this before. And I don't have any time to look into it because they're coming to slaughter my people." She growled.

"Edon said she only saw one, but she sensed more?" He asked.

"Indeed. But Edon has been sealed for a long time. Perhaps she simply sensed other dragons. It's possible they're luring the creature towards us to try and use it as a battering ram, or even a distraction. Blood Dragons, no matter how mindless, won't just attack a city. There's far too much noise and chaos for them to want to come close on their own. So it's coming this way for a reason, I just wish I knew what it was."

"How big is it?"

"Edon mentioned that it was massive, and built like a tank. Likely a earth dragon of some kind." Minerva explained.

"I've never seen a Blood Dragon before, and you don't see many of the more exotic dragon types out here." Vincent sighed.

"Blood Dragons are darker than their counterparts, and usually much larger." Minerva explained. "If he's a plated dragon, he could be a walking fortress."

"That's going to make it very hard to keep it away from the gate." Vincent noted.

"Remember what I taught you? Aim for his eyes and mouth my child." Minerva pulled her son into a hug before motioning for him to head up onto the bannerments. "Please be safe."

He started making his way forward and walked backwards to face his mother. "Do you think Edon's wolf made it to them in time?"

"I suppose we'll find out." Minerva answered, getting him to nod and turn to jog away.

Edon practically appeared at her side, though Minerva didn't seem phased by it. "My wolf has not returned yet. There is still a chance they will come." She explained.

"I know." Minerva nodded. "But until they do we have to make sure that the dragon does not bring down the gate. If we loose the gate far too many people will die. Even if we manage to keep it in the square."

"It won't make it to the gate." Edon assured her. "You have my word."

"I don't know what I'd do without you." Minerva smiled at the goddess who smirked before effortlessly leaping from where she was standing onto the top of the guard tower to the left of the gate. She stood on the roof and watched as the lumbering dragon towered over the treetops, slowly making it's way towards the city.

The dragon looked like a bipedal armadillo, with heavy armor plates on it's back. Edon had seen dragons like this before but on a much smaller scale. They were large for dragons, but it was usually feral dragons that grew to gargantuan sizes. This creature was no different. It's armored plating was also covered in large spikes, and when it raised it's head over the treetops to see, it had horns like that of a bull, stretching forward past his muzzle by a few feet, and another two rhino horns on the end of it's nose. It's teeth were jagged, and even from this distance Edon could see multiple rows of the razorblades in it's maw.