Chapter 22

Mikky peeked her head over the bushes, watching the guards as they wandered around the campsite. There were several tents set up around a firepit with boxes and barrels stacked and scattered about. There were a few wooden barricades just on the edge of the clearing that Mikky and Camelia had to avoid to get close, but they managed to do so without incident.

The camp itself seemed to me built into different sections, with this first area being one of many. The bandits wandering around had cobbled together sets of armor that looked like it was torn off other pieces. Some carried weapons that they clearly couldn't use well, and others just stumbled around with mugs of ale, clearly too drunk to be of any use at all. Other's moved cargo about the camp while barking orders to other people.

Mikky moved back behind the bush to look at Camelia before whispering. "So what weapon do you change into?" She asked.

"What do you need? I can take any form, within reason." Camelia answered.

"Can you change later?"

"I can."

"How about a piece of armor for now. Then a weapon if we need to fight our way out, though we shouldn't have to."

"I'll have difficulty changing in combat. I need to focus to change my form."

"Then I just won't get caught." Mikky smirked getting Camelia to roll her eyes.

"What kind of armor?"

"How about a gauntlet for now?"

Camelia nodded and held out her hand. Mikky took it and Camelia was enveloped in a quick and short burst of light. A couple bandits went to investigate, but the two of them had already moved on and were no where to be found.

Mikky made her way around the outskirts of the camp to get into a better position to move into it, her right arm now covered in a bright blue armor with silver swirl-like patterns etched into the metal. The gauntlet itself was incredibly light, and honestly Mikky didn't feel like she was wearing anything. It was completely silent even if her entire forearm and every part of her fingers were covered in metal plates that should have been rubbing together like a bag of coins.

Mikky darted from the brush to the back of a tent before rolling across a short segment of open area to hide behind a wagon. Her eyes and ears darting around for any sign of anyone moving her direction or looking her way before darting once again into an opened tent. She moved silently over a large wooden crate before poking a small hole into the back wall of the tent with a knife to peek out. She waited for the perfect moment to tear open the rest of the wall and move across the field to the next part of the camp.

The assumed that the biggest, fanciest tent would belong to the leader, and that the leader would probably be the one to have the staff of a goddess. So she rolled up to the back and managed to roll under the bottom of it before hiding behind a stack of barrels and crates pushed into the back right corner of this rather large tent.

Glancing around her cover, she could see a throne just a few feet ahead of her with what she assumed to be the staff leaned up against it's side. To her right was rather extravagant bed propped up in the opposite corner with jewlery and gold scattered about the floor and on top of other boxes. The bed was unmade and unoccupied, leaving her to be the only person inside the tent at the moment.

She moved forwards and gripped the staff before examining it curiously.

The staff of the weapon looked like it could have been made with bronze or brass as it was more of an orangish-red color than gold or copper. The ends of the staff were large ruby-like gemstones cut into very sharp points fitted into sockets on both ends of the staff itself. The length of the staff was covered in ruins and symbols, one of which was the same orange dragon seen in the temple, as well as a large fox.