Chapter 35

The trio headed to their inn where Mikky rented a single room for the three of them. It had two beds, and they quickly dropped off their bags in the room before heading down into the main dinning area of the inn. There was a stage set up in the far corner opposite the front door, and in the corner across from that was the counter. The stairs going up to the second floor was built against the wall behind said bar allowing the barkeep to store many things under the staircase without impeding people from getting up it. The bar was in a large L shape with the small gate leading in just before the staircase up.

This of course left most of the ground floor opened to tables and chairs for dinning with the kitchens in the far back. The entrance just before the other end of the bar farthest from the stairs. There was an opened space before the stage to allow people to dance if they wanted without tripping over tables.

This turned out to be a good thing, because tonight there was a band playing a happy jig. There was a young man playing a flute and another on a cello. In the center of the stage was a young blonde woman sitting on a stool with a fiddle to her chin. As soon as they heard the notes flow from the woman's fiddle, the three of them found themselves on the dance floor along with the rest of the inn.

The woman played two songs before she lowered the instrument from her chin with a happy, but slightly guilty smile. "Forgive me!" She called, revealing a fang as she smiled. "Even I must go to sleep if I am to begin my journey home!"

Now free of what could only be a spell, Mikky turned towards the woman. She was still giddy from her dancing and Akeno's body was very close. But her mind was now clear and she took in the stranger's appearance. She knew she had never met or even seen this woman before, but something about her was eerily familiar. It took a moment for her to notice it, but the woman before her had silver eyes.

This was a Nightshade! What was she doing so far from her home? Was it Rose? It couldn't be.

Shiva seemed to notice it too as her eyes were now locked on the woman who set her ebony violin in a darkened case and locked it shut, only to have the shadows reach up around it and pull it into the table it was resting on leaving no sign of it ever being there at all. She then bowed before making her way through the crowd and thanking everyone who gave her a pat on the back as she did so. The vampire then made her way up the steps with a final wave towards all her new fans. The other two bards continued to play music, and most everyone continued to dance including Akeno and Shiva.

Mikky found herself moving to the bar now that she was free of the music and took a seat on one of the stools. "I'll have something strong." Mikky smiled, setting a gold piece on the bar. "And a meal. I'm not picky."

"Just one second." The barkeep nodded, taking the piece and pouring the cat a glass of an amber colored liquid before heading into the kitchen quickly only to return a moment later with a plate of food. It wasn't the best, but it was happily filling.

"Do you happen to know who that woman was?" Mikky asked before taking a bite, her eyes never leaving the man's face.

"She wrote Kira down in my ledger." The man shrugged. "If I had to guess, I'd say Kira Nightshade. Though I'm not sure whether or not to be proud that she's not a rumor."

"I heard Rose had two daughters, but I had yet to meet them in person, nor anyone who claimed to actually see them. I suppose it's a good thing." Mikky agreed.

"You like them?" The man raised a curious eyebrow.

"I like any vampire that's not actively trying to kill me." Mikky chuckled, getting the man to laugh along with her.

"I suppose you do have a point." The barkeep shrugged before turning to a few other patrons and handing out a few more beers. Mikky finished the rest of her meal in relative peace. Occasionally looking into the crowd to spot her companions. Just as she finished the last of her drink Akeno slid onto the barstool behind her, tail swaying happily with a smile as she looped her arm through Mikky's.