Chapter 39

The fox couldn't help herself as she traced the lines running across Mikky's stomach while the cat slept. Akeno couldn't find peace as her mind wandered to what-ifs and regret. Sleep refused to reach her as wallowed in self doubt.

But a gentle sigh from Mikky, and a kind hand resting on her back told her that everything would be okay. That everything would sort itself out in the end. They would be able to move past this and something wonderful could come of it.

She wished she had told Mikky sooner, but she feared the cat would hate her. How could she ever trust someone who would abandon their own child? How could she trust that she would stay with Mikky and not her own daughter?

"So..." Mikky muttered, her eyes still closed but her voice laced with tiredness. Akeno flinched at the voice, not knowing that Mikky was still awake. "When do you want to leave this castle?"

"You don't want to stay here?"

"I want to go back to my own home." Mikky answered. "Just because I can stay here in a palace doesn't mean I want to... like... at all."

"You don't like living in luxury?" Akeno raised a curious eyebrow.

"It's not mine. It's not something I want."

"You think you don't deserve to sleep in a bed like this? Even though Minerva has given it to us?"

"I have a fox goddess sharing my bed. I don't need perfect silk sheets and fluffy pillows. I'm perfectly content in my own cabin in the middle of the woods where people can't find me." Mikky grumbled.

"May I ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"When Kira was helping us fight, I wasn't quite as conscious as I would have liked to be, but I recall her fighting over me, and I woke with the smell of blood practically covering me." Akeno confessed. "What exactly did she do?"

"She gutted the guy who went to murder you. It was... colorful." Mikky cringed.

"Are the Nightshade's not the good ones?"

"I don't think good is the best word. For the most part they refuse to harm humans, but they have been known to break their vows if they deem it necessary. I don't know how formal the vows are, but she gutted him like a fish which I have no qualms about. He was going to kill you."

"I am a deity my love. I do not possess the same mortality that others do. I cannot be killed by blades." Akeno explained.

"I don't know what that guy did to you. One minute you were fighting and the next you were face down on the ground. You might not like it, but I'm glad she killed him. If she didn't I would have." Mikky explained.

"You would kill someone to protect me?"

"I would. I wouldn't even think about it. If they were going to hurt you..." Mikky sighed deeply, her eyes still closed like she's still in thought.

"But that's-"

"We should talk about something else." Mikky interrupted. "Why do you like being pampered? Is it because you're a god? You'd think you'd be sick of being pampered."

Akeno shook the confusion from her mind. "I've never liked being pampered. But that doesn't mean I dislike the idea of sleeping in a wonderful bed. Luxuries are very different than being pampered."

"Right. So you'd rather have soft silk sheets and -"

"Yes! I would! I love soft silk sheets! They don't ruffle my fur in the same way your linen wraps do!"

"Excuse you! I stole only the finest of bed sheets!" The cat opened her eyes to glare.

"Mikky!"

"I did! I don't sleep on rags!"