Chapter 40

Mikky stretched, wincing at her shoulder before glancing to Akeno who smiled knowingly. "I'm really not sure how I feel about ever doing that again." The cat confessed.

"I get the feeling you greatly enjoyed it." Akeno retorted.

The two of them were fully clothed once more and had headed into the town to investigate the odd feeling that Mikky had felt earlier. The cat's eyes were darting across every face and building they walked past as she tried to find what was causing it. She attempted several times to call forth a vision, but nothing really came to her.

Honestly, it felt more like she couldn't connect to it. Like something wasn't allowing her to see it.

"Do you know a lot about Seers?" Mikky asked her companion who had wrapped an arm around Mikky's as they walked.

"I know quite a bit." Akeno answered. "I wouldn't say I'm an expert."

"Can Seers prevent other Seers from getting visions?" Mikky questioned.

"It's possible." Akeno shrugged. "I don't think I know anyone who's done it, but it would make sense. If you can see the weaves you can have some kind of effect on it. If someone didn't want to be seen they could darken the weaves to prevent it."

"Do we know there was a Seer in Yeager? Trying to get to Alice?"

"Was it not the mage whom Alice killed? With her eyes I might add... very alarming." Akeno shivered a bit.

"I don't know if he was a Seer. I could feel the weaves tighten around Alice, like they formed a connection to her. But I didn't sense that with him." Mikky explained.

"So perhaps he wasn't the Seer that sent the bandits to find us?" Akeno asked.

"I don't think he was. I think there was someone else there that we couldn't see. Someone that probably has a grudge with us." Mikky nodded, her eyes once again passing across the crowd.

"Should we have warned Minerva?"

"I don't know if they're coming after me, but it might explain this weird feeling. Maybe the Seer is blocking my vision so I can't see them, but I can sense them."

"Do you want to prepare for a fight?" Akeno asked, now her eyes were cautiously looking around.

"Can you do the thing you did with Lupa?"

"Possess you?" Akeno questioned.

"I don't want them to immobilize you again." Mikky confessed. "I was... I was scared."

Akeno managed a gentle smile before lightly shouldering Mikky. "You have nothing to fear. It was a rune that temporarily sealed me. Even had Kira not removed it, I was slowly burning it away."

"I don't want that to happen again... Plus... we fight better together." Mikky turned her head away, not wanting to see Akeno's expression.

"We do make a good team." Akeno agreed.

"Right." Mikky smiled nervously then paused, her ears standing up straight.

"Then we should-"

"Move!" Mikky shouted, shouldering Akeno and throwing her to the side as a dagger slammed into the ground between them. Mikky stepped back as the crowd started screaming and trying to run away.

Akeno waved her hands before herself, her hair igniting as she materialized her staff and readied herself for a fight. Mikky went to draw her swords, but the dagger flung itself backwards, onto the rooftops just as a figure lept off and attempted to land on Mikky. She flipped backwards, rolled across the ground and readied her blades as she landed on her feet.