Size doesn't matter, buddy

Word count: 1370
Requested via Tumblr

You were waiting in the car for Alice and Bella, the engine turned on. You and Bella never really agreed with each other but none the less, you wouldn't let her kill herself over your brother leaving her. You sat as still as a statue, listening for any disruptions. You could hear the whole conversation inside the house, thanks to your enhanced hearing.
"It was Edward." The words were just a choked whisper, coming from Alice. "He thinks you're dead." "Rosalie told him I killed myself, didn't she?" Bella said, sighing. "Yes," Alice admitted. "In her defence, she did believe it. They rely on my sight far too much for something that works so imperfectly. But for her to track him down to tell him this! Didn't she realize, or care?" Her voice faded away in horror. "And when Edward called here, he thought Jacob meant my funeral," Bella realized. "You're not upset," Alice whispered. "Well, it's really rotten timing, but it will all get straightened out. The next time he calls, someone will tell him what really." Bella trailed off.
Your eyes grew wide. "God damn it!" you cursed, realizing fully well what Alice meant. Your brother had a feeling for drama and your quick mind worked it out faster than Bella's slower human mind. "Bella," Alice whispered. "Edward won't call again. He believed her." "I. Don't. Understand." Bella said. "He's going to Italy." It was quiet for a short while, probably Bella trying to comprehend what Alice meant.
"NO!" The half-shrieked denial was so loud after the whispered words, it made even you jump up. "No! No, no, no! He can't! He can't do that!" Bella shouted. "He made up his mind as soon as your friend confirmed that it was too late to save you." Alice explained. "But he, he left! He didn't want me anymore! What difference does it make now? He knew I would die sometime!" Bella shouted once more, pain in her voice. "I don't think he ever planned to outlive you by long," Alice said quietly. "How dare he!" Bella screamed. "Oh, get out of the way, Jacob!" Bella said, earning her a chuckle from you. "What do we do?" Bella begged Alice. "Can't we call him? Can Carlisle?" You assumed Alice shook her head before answering Bella.
"That was the first thing I tried. He left his phone in a trash can in Rio, someone answered it" she whispered. "You said before we had to hurry. Hurry how? Let's do it, whatever it is!" Bella pleaded "Bella, I don't think I can ask you to..." She trailed off in indecision.
"Ask me!" Bella commanded. "We may already be too late. I saw him going to the Volturi, and asking to die." You cringed at Alice's words. "It all depends on what they choose. I can't see that till they make a decision."
"But if they say no, and they might, Aro is fond of Carlisle, and wouldn't want to offend him. Edward has a backup plan. They're very protective of their city. If Edward does something to upset the peace, he thinks they'll act to stop him. And he's right. They will." Alice said. You cursed even more, ready to drag both Alice and Bella's butts into the car and speed off towards Italy.
"So if they agree to grant his favour, we're too late. If they say no, and he comes up with a plan to offend them quickly enough, we're too late. If he gives into his more theatrical tendencies we might have time." Alice explained. "Let's go!" Bella chanted. "Listen, Bella! Whether we are in time or not, we will be in the heart of the Volturi city. (Y/N) and I will be considered his accomplice if he is successful. You will be a human who not only knows too much, but also smells too good. There's a very good chance that they will eliminate us all though in your case it won't be punishment so much as dinnertime." Alice said.
"Wait, (Y/N) is here as well? I thought she disliked me?" Bella asked. "No she doesn't. She is just very protective over our family, and once again a human knowing about us is dangerous. She is waiting in the car, she didn't want to frighten you or anything. She only wants to protect our brother." Alice explained. "But, your fear is what's keeping us here?" Bella asked in disbelief, returning her attention to the topic. "I'll go alone if you're afraid."
"I'm only afraid of getting you killed." Alice said, trying to reason with Bella. Bella snorted in disgust, earning her a growl from you. "I almost get myself killed on a daily basis! Tell me what I need to do!"
"You write a note to Charlie. I'll call the airlines." Alice said, knowing there was no way to convince Bella to stay. "Charlie," Bella gasped. "I'm not going to let anything happen to Charlie." Jacob's low voice was gruff and angry. "Screw the treaty." You rolled your eyes. The treaty was only set into place for the wolves at the time.
"Hurry, Bella," Alice interrupted urgently. "Don't go," Jacob whispered. "Please, please, please take care of Charlie," Bella said. Alice was waiting in the doorway with a bag over her shoulder. "Get your wallet you'll need ID. Please tell me you have a passport. I don't have time to forge one." Bella nodded and then raced up the stairs.
You watched Jacob with a close eyes as he and Alice were locked in some kind of confrontation in front of the open door, standing so far apart you. Neither one seemed to notice Bella's noisy reappearance. "You might control yourself on occasion, but these leeches you're taking her to" Jacob was furiously accusing her. "Yes. You're right, dog." Alice was snarling, too. You were ready to step out of the car, to give this dog a piece of your mind, but Alice held her hand up slightly, signalling for you to stay put.
"The Volturi are the very essence of our kind, they're the reason your hair stands on end when you smell me. They are the substance of your nightmares, the dread behind your instincts. I'm not unaware of that." Alice hissed between her teeth. "And you take her to them like a bottle of wine for a party!" he shouted. "You think she'd be better off if I left her here alone, with Victoria stalking her?" "We can handle the redhead." "Then why is she still hunting?" Jacob growled, and a shudder rippled through his torso.
"Stop that!" Bella shouted at them both, wild with impatience. "Argue when we get back, let's go!" Alice turned for the car, disappearing in her haste. Bella hurried after her, pausing automatically to turn and lock the door. Jacob caught her arm with a shivering hand. "Please, Bella. I'm begging." His dark eyes were glistening with tears. "Jake, I have to." "You don't, though. You really don't. You could stay here with me. You could stay alive. For Charlie. For me."
The engine of Carlisle's Mercedes purred; the rhythm of the thrumming spiked when you revved it impatiently. Bella shook her head, tears spattering from her eyes with the sharp motion. She pulled her arm free, and he didn't fight her. "Don't die, Bella," he choked out. "Don't go. Don't." A sob broke out from her chest. She threw her arms around his waist and hugged for one too-short moment, burying her tear-wet face against his chest. He put his big hand on the back of her hair, as if to hold her there.
"Bye, Jake." she pulled his hand from her hair, and kissed his palm. "Sorry," she whispered before spinning and raced for the car. The door on the back seat side was open and waiting. Bella threw her backpack on the back seat next to her and slid in, slamming the door behind her. "Take care of Charlie!" she turned to shout out the window, but Jacob was nowhere in sight. You stomped on the gas and with the tires screeching like human screams spun the car around to face the road, speeding towards the aiport.