Size doesn't matter, buddy part 7

Word count: 1197

"Enough." The voice was high, reedy, and it came from behind you. You turned your head slightly, still keeping the other two guards in your sight, to see a small, dark shape coming toward you. By the way the edges billowed, you knew it would be another one of them. At first it looked like it was a young boy. The newcomer was as tiny as Alice, with lank, pale brown hair trimmed short. The body under the cloak which was darker, almost black was slim and androgynous. But the face was too pretty for a boy. The wide-eyed, full-lipped face would make a Botticelli angel look like a gargoyle. Even allowing for the dull crimson irises. Her size was so insignificant that the reaction to her appearance would confuse anyone whom didn't know better. Felix and Demetri relaxed immediately, stepping back from their offensive positions to blend again with the shadows of the overhanging walls. Edward dropped his arms and relaxed his position as well but in defeat.
"Jane," he sighed in recognition and resignation. Alice folded her arms across her chest, her expression impassive. You slowly came out of your crouched position, knowing there was no way to win any fight with Jane around.
"Follow me," Jane spoke again, her childish voice a monotone. She turned her back on you and drifted silently into the dark. Felix gestured for you to go first, smirking. Alice walked after the little Jane at once. Edward wrapped his arm around Bella's waist and pulled her along beside Alice. You turned around slowly and walked behind the three vampires, trying to keep them save.
The alley angled slightly downward as it narrowed. You could feel Felix walking very closely behind you, his chest almost touching your back. You weren't sure to feel protected or threatened.
"Well, Alice," Edward said conversationally as you walked. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see you here." "It was my mistake," Alice answered in the same tone. "It was my job to set it right." "What happened?" His voice was polite, as if he were barely interested. "It's a long story." Alice's eyes flickered towards Bella and away. "In summary, she did jump off a cliff, but she wasn't trying to kill herself. Bella's all about the extreme sports these days." You explained, chuckling slightly wich earned you a small glare over his shoulder from Edward and a flushed complexion from Bella.
"Hm," Edward said curtly, and the casual tone of his voice was gone. There was a loose curve to the alley, still slanting downward, reaching the squared-off dead end coming along with the flat, windowless, brick face. The little one called Jane was nowhere to be seen. Alice didn't hesitate, didn't break pace as she strode toward the wall. Then, with easy grace, she slid down an open hole in the street. It looked like a drain, sunk into the lowest point of the paving, the grate was halfway pushed aside. The hole was small, and black.
Bella balked. "It's all right, Bella," Edward said in a low voice. "Alice will catch you." Bella eyed the hole doubtfully. You knew he wanted to stay behind with you, seeing now that Jane was gone Edward and you could take down the two guards for a moment if they planned on attacking Bella that moment. You tried to lighten up the mood with a light chuckle. "Come on, Bella. It is the same as jumping down a cliff. You were into extreme sport nowadays, remember?" you said giving her a small wink. Felix chuckled behind you, taking a small step closer towards you. Bella's face flushed again before turning towards the hole again. Demetri and Felix were waiting, smug and silent, behind the group for Bella and Edward to jump down.
Bella crouched down, swinging her legs into the narrow gap. "Alice?" she whispered, voice trembling. "I'm right here, Bella," Alice reassured her. Edward took my wrists in his hands and lowered her into the blackness. "Ready?" he asked. "Drop her," Alice called. Edward let her fall. It was silent and short. The air whipped past her for just half a second, and then, with a huff as she exhaled, Alice's waiting arms caught her. She stood her upright. Edward jumped in after Bella, giving you a small look of concern, which you replied by smiling reassuringly. You saw him putting his arm around Bella, holding her close to his side as soon as he landed at the bottom.
"After you, my lady." Felix said, trying to be a gentleman. "Why, thank you." You said before jumping down yourself, landing gracefully and quietly on your feet. It was dim, but not black at the bottom. The light from the hole above provided a faint glow, reflecting wetly from the stones under your feet. The light vanished for a second, and both Felix and Demetri jumped down behind you.
The sound of the heavy grate sliding over the drain hole behind you rang with metallic finality. The dim light from the street was quickly lost in the gloom. The sound of Bella's staggering footsteps echoed through the black space.
There were no sounds other than Bella's frantic heartbeat and her feet on the wet stones except for once, when an impatient sigh whispered from behind you. You knew it had to be Felix, as he was once again walking closely behind you and you could feel his breath hit the back of your head. Edward held Bella tightly as the group walked through the tunnels.
The path beneath your feet continued to slant downward, taking you deeper into the ground. You were in a low, arched tunnel. Long trails of ebony moisture seeped down the gray stones, like they were bleeding ink. Bella was shaking, probably from the cold. Her clothes were still wet from when she ran through the fountain on the main square, and even you could feel that the temperature underneath the city was wintry.
Edward realized this at the same time you did, and let go of Bella, keeping only her hand. "N-n-no," she chattered, throwing her arms around him. You frowned. You hadn't realized how much impact it had on Bella when Edward had left her, but now you could and you felt bad for making fun of her over the course that you knew her.
You hurried through the tunnel. Or it probably would seem like hurrying for humans, however Felix kept heaving a sigh now and then, clearly annoyed by the slow pace. At the end of the tunnel was a grate, the iron bars were rusting, but thick as a human arm. A small door made of thinner, interlaced bars was standing open. Edward ducked through and hurried on to a larger, brighter stone room. The grille slammed shut with a clang, followed by the snap of a lock.
On the other side of the long room was a low, heavy wooden door. It was very thick and it, too, stood open. You stepped through the door, and Bella glanced around her in surprise, relaxing automatically. However, Alice, Edward and you tensed, your jaws clenched tight.