Size doesn't matter, buddy part 2

Word count: 2039
Requested via Tumblr

You made your flight with mere seconds to spare, and then the true torture began. The plane sat idle on the tarmac while the flight attendants strolled so casually up and down the aisle, patting the bags in the overhead compartments to make sure everything fit. The pilots leaned out of the cockpit, chatting with them as they passed. Alice's hand was placed on Bella's shoulder, holding her in her seat while she bounced anxiously up and down. "It's faster than running," she reminded her in a low voice. Bella just nodded in time with her bouncing, making you roll her eyes. Humans, you never fully got them anymore.
At last the plane rolled lazily from the gate, building speed with a gradual steadiness. Alice lifted the phone on the back of the seat in front of her before you'd stopped climbing, turning her back on the stewardess who eyed her with disapproval. Something about Bella's expression stopped the stewardess from coming over to protest, making you chuckle. "If looks could kill, right Bella?" you said, giving her a playful smirk, earning you a glare from the human. You chuckled louder and held your hands up in defence, turning your head to look outside the window, listening to what Alice was murmuring to Jasper. "I can't be sure, I keep seeing him do different things, he keeps changing his mind. A killing spree through the city, attacking the guard, lifting a car over his head in the main square, mostly things that would expose them. He knows that's the fastest way to force a reaction." You rolled your eyes. Really? There was nothing more original he could do?
"No, you can't." Alice's voice dropped till it was nearly inaudible. "Tell Emmett no. Well, go after Emmett and Rosalie and bring them back. Think about it, Jasper. If he sees any of us, what do you think he will do?" She nodded. "Exactly. I think Bella is the only chance, if there is a chance I'll do everything that can be done, but prepare Carlisle; the odds aren't good." She laughed then, and there was a catch in her voice. "I've thought of that. Yes, I promise." Her voice became pleading. "Don't follow me. I promise, Jasper. One way or another, I'll get out. And I love you." She hung up, and leaned back in her seat with her eyes closed.
"I hate lying to him." "Tell me everything, Alice," Bella begged. "I don't understand. Why did you tell Jasper to stop Emmett, why can't they come help us?" "Two reasons," she whispered, her eyes still closed. "The first I told him. We could try to stop Edward ourselves if Emmett could get his hands on him, we might be able to stop him long enough to convince him you're alive. But we can't sneak up on Edward. And if he sees us coming for him, he'll just act that much faster. He'll throw a car through a wall or something, and the Volturi will take him down. "That's the second reason of course, the reason I couldn't say to Jasper. Because if they're there and the Volturi kill Edward, they'll fight them. Bella." She opened her eyes and stared at Bella, beseeching. "If there were any chance we could win if there were a way that the five of us could save my brother by fighting for him, maybe it would be different. But we can't, and, Bella, I can't lose Jasper like that." You bit your lip. Even though you were the strongest of the Cullens, even stronger than Emmett, you knew you didn't stand a chance against their other gifts. Bella truly was the only way to save your brother.
Alice was protecting Jasper, at your expense, and maybe at Edward's, too. Bella nodded. "Couldn't Edward hear you, though.'" She asked. "Wouldn't he know, as soon as he heard your thoughts, that I was alive, that there was no point to this?"
"If he were listening," she explained. "But believe it or not, it's possible to lie with your thoughts. If you had died, I would still try to stop him. And I would be thinking 'she's alive, she's alive' as hard as I could. He knows that." Bella grounded her teeth in mute frustration. "If there were any way to do this without you, Bella, I wouldn't be endangering you like this. It's very wrong of me." "Don't be stupid. I'm the last thing you should be worrying about." Bella shook her head impatiently. "Tell me what you meant, about hating to lie to Jasper." Alice smiled a grim smile. "I promised him I would get out before they killed me, too. It's not something I can guarantee not by a long shot." She raised her eyebrows.
"Who are these Volturi?" Bella demanded in a whisper. "What makes them so much more dangerous than Emmett, Jasper, Rosalie, (Y/N) and you?" You took a deep breath, deciding to mend into the conversation, while Alice abruptly levelled a dark glance over Bella's shoulder. You turned in time to see the man in the aisle seat looking away as if he wasn't listening to us. He appeared to be a businessman, in a dark suit with a power tie and a laptop on his knees. While Bella stared at him with irritation, he opened the computer and very conspicuously put headphones on. Bella leaned closer to you. Your lips were at her ears as you breathed the story, trying to not be distracted by the blood that flowed through her veins, which made the fire in your throat burn.