1.6. Friendship in unlikely circumstances

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Sometimes, best friends

Are found in the most unlikely places

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out to see the mad scientist calling me.

Drawing a deep breath, I tapped on the accept button and chimed, "Yes?"

"What you mean 'yes'? I'm waiting?" Ilhoon's angry voice rang in my ears. "Where you at, bro?"

I stopped on the second floor to peek outside the window and obviously, he was standing outside the gates next to his green Bugatti with his one hand holding his phone to his ear and his other hand placed on his hip sassily.

That hand might just smack me when I near him.

I hastened my pace down the stairs. "Well damn, I was just searching for my lost scarf. No need to go yandere on me."

"Did you find it, then?"

I bit my lips, running towards him. "No... It was gone."

He smacked my shoulder with his hand that was on his hip and I yelled, "Hey!"

"Get in, gurl," he dismissed it, getting inside his posh car. "I haven't got all day."

"Prick," I mumbled under my breath before following him inside, taking my seat next to him.

The ride was silent but my mind wasn't.

The words I shouldn't have heard but did anyway kept repeating in my head like a broken record, like an annoying song chorus that you couldn't stop humming.

"Doesn't she realize that everyone actually hates her?"

"Ina should just kill herself"

My heart jumped when Ilhoon shattered the silence. "So mind telling me who upset you? I'm always ready to throw hands anytime, remember that. Whose bones should I break?"

I turned to frown at him.

"I just know you're crying inside, gurl," he defended himself with his eyes on the road. "Don't you look at me like that."

I breathed out a chuckle and shook my head. Maybe he was the only friend I needed.

"I'm more concerned about your dumb hair," I stated, reaching out my hand to touch his slicked back mint colored locks. "You should get a refund from your hairdresser. This is too much of an abomination."

"Hey. I may be a nerdy scientist but I'm also a rockstar, okay?" He lifted his chin with a smug look and checked himself out in the rear mirror. "Damn, I look like a five course meal. You wish you could relate."

I rolled my eyes, leaning back into my seat. "I'm flattered."

Soon, we reached the national laboratory for research. The security was as tight as ever, the same old high gates standing tall hundreds of feet away from the main building, the guards roaming the area with guns in hand. This place never failed to have my heart quivering every time I came here.

And I had been here hundreds of times.

After showing his badge to the guard, Ilhoon drove inside the area and parked the car in the basement. We then rode the cramped elevator with handful of monitors and walked through tens and dozens of doors and securities before finally reaching his lab room.