2.11. A small favor

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

More than an apology

Gratitude is what I want to hear

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"Well, it's quite a surprise that you're visiting us unnoticed beforehand, Ina."

The maid poured earl grey in a cup and placed it in front of me, and proceeded to pour some for my parents who sat opposite of me. They were fidgeting... A rare sight I had never witnessed before.

"I thought I didn't need to, but I guess I was mistaken, I apologize. But I won't take long, mother," I said before taking a small sip from the malty and rich tea. "I just wanted to ask for a favor since you told me to come to you when I needed something."

Her eyes perked up as she listened intently. "Oh, what is it?"

"I want to get my job back at the state law firm," I simply said, giving them a small smile.

They froze for a second, their expressions falling, and glanced at each other before quickly denying my request, calling it absurd.

"There's no need for you to do that," father interjected. "We told you we're taking care of your finance. There's no need for you to work, just focus on resting, Ina."

"It's not that. I'm doing it to take my mind off of things," I clarified, pleading. "Just tell them I won't be able to work full time since it's just a distraction for me. You can do that, right?"

He sighed, turning to the amber eyed woman beside him before reluctantly agreeing. "We can... if it's something you want."

Why they were willing to do whatever I wanted was confusing, but I couldn't be complaining when I could use the opportunity instead. The hidden files in Jungkook's computer was pointing towards that place where I used to work, so if I were to find anything there, I had to have the access first.

"Then, I'll count on you," I chirped, bowing my head.

"Yes, we'll inform you when you're in."

Just then, the doorbell suddenly rang and the maid quickly shuffled to the intercom to answer. "It's the Oh family," she announced and I felt my heart drop in shock.

"Let them in," father ordered and turned to me. "We were having guests over so that's why we were surprised to have you visiting us."

So that's why...

They were having Hyungsoo and his family over, that's why...

It was just my luck that I came here right at this time. All the nerves in my body were screaming at me to run away, but I would still run into them if I left now. Even if my skin was crawling from the thought of meeting them, it was better to face them while I was in here like this.

While I was nibbling on my bottom lip in agitation, the sound of the main door opening and the excited exclaims of the guests that followed made me want to hide in one of the dozens of rooms inside the mansion.