1.11. My life, my values

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

I know who I am

I know what I want

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

My pulse rate was quickening, my stomach twisting and turning, my breathing irregular and my head pounding and racing with millions of words to spit. I felt brave but scared. I was anxious but determined. I regretted what I said but didn't regret it at all at the same time.

It wasn't the first time I stood up against them but it was the first time I went all the way to express my disgust and disagreement with all of their choices and deeds.

The spine chilling glares and blood curdling yells of my parents made me want to hide and lock myself in the bathroom, safe from their cruelty but I tried my best to hold my stance.

But the chairs they threw my way and the slaps I received along with curses and disappointments were making it difficult to do that.

My face was already stained with tears so I failed at hiding my vulnerabilities.

"Who do you think clothes you, feeds you and provides you with a home, Ina?! An incompetent and ungrateful child like you dares rise up against us?!"

"You shouldn't resort to that kind of money-making," I retorted, raising my voice even though my throat was burning from yelling so much. "Don't you watch the news? People are dying out there because you decided to waste money on useless things instead of helping their illnesses!"

"That illness you're speaking of is the one the politicians asked us to create," my father scoffed while ascending up the stairs. "Who cares if a few people die?"

I clenched my teeth, my hands balling into fists. They just didn't want to understand. "You are killing them! Not only this, but many other times before as well when I never understood what you did for a living! This filthy system where those who sit at the top do whatever they please to gain more money and power, and bribe others who could catch them and put them behind the bars needs to be broken!"

My father laughed obnoxiously at the top of the stairs, looking down at me with ridicule. "And what, you're gonna stop us? Drop this ridiculous talk and do as we say. You don't know anything, foolish child."

With that, he refused to speak further and disappeared into his room, leaving me boiling with rage. The fact that he, my own father, degraded me, hurt me and then walked away without even acknowledging my opinions truly broke me.

"Biting the hands that fed you," my mother scoffed before turning to me with a cold look. "If you don't want to be kicked out by your parents, you better become a lawyer and do as we say. We raised you and spent a fortune on you for as long as you lived. Don't you think you should pay us back?"

She walked away to the left wing, clutching her silky pink robe, disappearing out of my sight, and my knees gave in. I dropped to the ground, holding my chest that was getting heavier by the second.

Perhaps I would never reach them. I would never be more than a tool for wealth.

But I was not one to give up.