2.20. Confessions of a superior

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Dreams feel real

When we're dreaming

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

How did I end up like this? Where did I go wrong?

Would anything I do ever make a difference?

With a heavy sigh, I slipped off my shoes and entered the cabin. Scents of cedar wood and a mix of lavender traced the walls, evoking nostalgia of when I used to come here when times were rather peaceful.

"We'll be safer here," I said to Jungkook as he trailed behind me into the living room. "They must be coming to the apartment searching for us. We'll have to stay here for a while."

And I hoped that 'a while' was long enough for us to be safe again.

Jungkook sat himself down on the couch and fixed his gaze on his hands, staring at them in silence. I could only guess what he was thinking and that wasn't so pleasant. I would have never guessed he would fight someone, never in a million years that he would even shoot people. Yet, he just killed some men with his own hands.

"I'm sorry," I told him as I stood behind the couch with my head hanging low. "Don't blame or beat yourself up for what you did. You did the right thing..."

He stayed silent. The whole house sounded empty save for my tremulous voice. The air was suffocating.

"Everything that happens in this world should mean nothing to you because this isn't your world... Think of it as a long dream. Your hyung is safe and sound in your own world. You will continue to sing and dance on the stage with your fans all around you... This isn't real."

"Then why does it feel so real," he murmured, turning his head around to capture me with his deep, dark eyes.

I shook my head with a small smile. "Dreams feel real when we're dreaming, don't they?"

Turning on my heels, I walked to the bedroom to search for a change of clothes. If only all of this was a dream for me... I would wake up in my husband's arms and he would cuddle me, asking me what kind of a nightmare I had and soothing me with his reassuring whispers.

They would all be alive. And I wouldn't live in fear.

Before dropping my phone on the bed, I checked all the notifications and I came across a message I had ignored before at the hospital.

"Is this...?"

•───────────⋅☾ ☽⋅───────────•

"I'm Kangmin and Jimin's grandmother. He's their grandfather," I said, gesturing at Jungkook. "We just want to express our gratitude to the Commissioner for always taking care of our grandsons." I sniffled, bringing out a handkerchief and dabbing my eyes.

"Oh, Mrs. Park, of course," one of the officers said apologetically and placed a hand against my back to lead us. "We're so sorry for your loss. The Park brothers were our good friends, we just can't accept this whole situation."