2.4. Crying isn't a sin

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

I'll be there for you

Through thick and thin

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

The whole journey back home, my stomach kept churning as an intense urge to throw up kept burning at my throat. Nausea was sickening me and each ticking second, I was dying to reach home.

A breath of immense relief escaped me as soon as I closed the door to my apartment and slammed my back against it.

Sizzling sounds broke my temporary daze and I staggered towards the source of it, finding a very surprising scene happening in the kitchen.

"Welcome back," Jungkook chimed, flashing me a small smile before turning his attention back to the frying pan, stirring the food. His sweater sleeves were rolled up, exposing his arm muscles, and his cherry red bangs were pushed back into a small bun with my flower hair tie.

"What are you doing, Jeon Jungkook?"

After a long hum, he chuckled softly. "Well... There's really nothing for me to do for all the favors you're doing for me and I... really feel bad. At least let me cook for you. It's almost done anyway."

I hated how sincere he sounded. He must had been eagerly waiting for the machine to arrive, waiting to repay me for something I was supposed to do from my end for troubling him... yet I came empty handed.

Guilt weighed me down. Regret for not even checking if the machine was actually not there throbbed in my chest.

"Jungkook..." I started but bit my tongue as I couldn't bring myself to continue.

The sizzling sounds died down and he looked up at me with a gentle gaze. "Please, take your seat. It's lunchtime."

My feet were stuck to the floor. They were caught in a quicksand, sinking deeper every second until I could find my voice to confess the horrible truth.

The clueless man carefully placed the plates of grilled pork belly and bowls of rice on the table between us and fixed his gaze on me as I still stood there. "Ina?"

I licked my lips. "Jungkook... I couldn't..." Swallowing, I tried stabilizing my shaky voice. "I couldn't retrieve Auma... I-It's been destroyed after Ilhoon left the lab." My head dropped lower. "I'm so sorry..."

I wasn't a scientist like Ilhoon. The only way I could send Jungkook back was through Auma but it was gone now. Because of me, Jungkook couldn't go back now. All because of how pathetic I was due to my husband's death. The death that was caused by my stupidity, too.

"Then... I can't go back...? Ever?"

His hushed whispers of defeat struck me and I wanted nothing more to deny him, tell him that I would send him back no matter what... only if I could.

Hopeless silence engulfed us, drowning the earlier fleeting warmth. Every fiber of my being was dying to change the past, to prevent any of this from happening.