2.5. Succumbing to desperation

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

When I close my eyes

My fears resurface

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"So..."

I vacantly stared at empty air as my brain processed Jungkook's words.

"My cousin is the leader of your group..."

He nodded with his lower lip caught between his teeth.

It was ridiculous! How was everyone I knew in that one boy group? My uptight cousin? Singing and dancing?

"Why didn't you tell me that earlier?"

"I didn't know he was your cousin," he genuinely stated with wide doe eyes gawking at me as if he was in disbelief himself.

I paused, realizing something. "Does that mean you met the other me in your world?"

Rolling his eyes in thought, he shook his head. "I've never seen someone like you my whole life."

My heart plummeted at that. Universes worked in a weird way. Every choice led up to a different reality and in that reality...

I might had never been born at all.

I gulped. "I see."

"So," he drawled, his eyes darting around as if he was almost afraid of saying the next words. "...you don't talk to your family at all?"

My brows crashed together. "I told you how inhumane they are. Why would I talk to them?" His face was downcast and he mumbled an apology in a soft tone, earning a sigh from me. "Namjoon and Seojoon are the only family I have. No one else listens to me anyway."

The tension was returning, seeping into the air around us again.

"Though clumsy, Namjoon always cares about me hella lot." A smile grew on me as my cousin's distressed but meme-worthy expression flashed before my eyes. "He even started giving me money after my husband's death since he knew I had no job to provide for myself... I don't know if I deserve him."

The pats on my knee snapped me out of my daze and I looked up at Jungkook's soft gaze that shook my heart.

"It's not about you deserving him or not. It's about his love for you... He loves you a lot."

I breathed out a chuckle. "And all I ever do is bother him with my problems..." Drawing a deep breath, I sat up straight. "I can't leech off Namjoon forever. I should find myself a job first."

"I can't leech off you, either," he muttered, his eyes darting all over the floor.

There it was again. Why was he so alike him?

"You know you can't be seen outside, right?" My chest tightened when his eyes dulled as he nodded slowly. "I'll take care of the finance, okay? You take care of the cooking. How's that?"