Epilogue: Dusk

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

I'll live on

As a part of your heart

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Weeks flew by, racing the wind of life, and each day passed as if nothing happened, but at the same time, nothing was the same.

It felt like only yesterday that I stood against everyone, testified against my own family and brought all of their deeds into the light. The whole world was shaken by the news and it became the headlines of every country since the day it was known.

That day was such a terrible one that was etched into my heart and left a deep scar. I couldn't forget the sheer hatred my uncle had in his tired eyes, witnessing the destruction of years of his hard work and days of walking on eggshells. One person's testimony led to another's and hundreds of accomplices dragged each other into lifetime of prison.

I couldn't bid farewell to my parents and they never looked at me even in their final moments. I would always be the ungrateful, unwanted child to them... but that was a sin I was destined to bear.

All of their possessions and wealth were seized and put aside to be used for the country's development. New structure was being built and the members were being chosen by the citizens based on their past works and what they did for the country. And although he was a son of a criminal, Namjoon was in the list of potential candidates who would almost definitely get chosen.

"Will you be alright?" I asked my cousin carefully as he stood up from placing the bouquet of flowers on his friend's grave.

"I will be," he sighed, standing tall beside me and faced the clear blue sky. "It's like... I have to. It's my job to fix what they broke. I feel guilty as well..."

I held his arm, trying to soothe him. "Don't be. Your family shouldn't define who you are as an individual."

"I just... I still can't believe my own brother and father did something like that... I guess the misfortunes of lacking things when mom died really got to Seojoon... He's the oldest after all."

Slowly nodding, I hugged myself to shield from the cold breeze, the wind that whispered my doubts out loud. I could sometimes hear them yelling at me, blaming me for their lives that were taken away. Regrets and guilts would come and go like the moon appearing in the darkest hours.

But I had only months or even less to live to change anything now.

If I could give away what's left of me to bring all the lives I lost, I would do it in a heartbeat. It would be better than opening my eyes to tear filled days.

"Will he be staying here?"

I heard this question from him for hundreds of times but it never failed to make me hesitate even when my answer was already set. And I hated that. I never answered him. My days were numbered and I didn't know why I was trying to cling on to him.

"Do you think he will?"

Namjoon heaved a long sigh, gently patting my head. "If he wants to, maybe. He's really good at cleaning."

I breathed out a chuckle. "You just want him around because he cleans up every time you make a mess, is that it?"

"That's one reason, yes." Giving me a sympathetic smile that showed his adorable dimples, he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "But I'm worried you'll never laugh to the fullest again if he leaves."