Chapter Thirty

October 22, 2019

Sheila

"What?" I could only gasp in shock. I slumped down into the white chair, I held my head with one hand. It gave me a head ache. I thought Weni killed one of them as well.

Are we just all bad seeds? Were we all monsters?

"With the help of another Shadow Wolf, we cornered him and ended his life. This created a hole in Kolgrims army, and thus he went into hiding for the next hundred years. Now, he seems to think the time is right." He grunted, clearly displeased with the information.

"When did these attacks start up?" They had to have been going on for a little while now. They had been on the brink of war when I had met Zaivinth, and war doesn't just manifest in an afternoon.

"About, eighteen years ago." He sighed, grabbing a pastry from the display in front of us. He looked at it, observing and evaluating the poor cookie.

"Eighteen years ago?" My eyebrows rose high into the air. High enough that I thought they would fly off my face.

"Around the time you were born." His eyes widened, as if he had just came to another realization.

"Oh my god!" I gasped my hands flying to my mouth. I almost felt tears prickling at my eyes. "Do you think. Do you think he started this war just to get his hands on me?"

"We can't be sure." He looked outside at the ash palaces' walls. "But that probably has to have something to do with it."

    "Why though?" I slammed my fist on the table. "Is he trying to get back at you? No that can't be it. Does he want to make me his slave? Or he wants someone to fill the gap that the shadow wolf left?"

    "I will never allow you to be a slave to Kolgrim. Not while I'm alive." He reaches out and grabbed my hands. He looked deep into my soul. I knew he was speaking the truth. My heart pounded, "but he certainly wants you, probably for one of the reasons above. He wants you alive." He did want me alive, he could have easily snapped my neck in that last encounter.

    "What if there is no way to stop him but to give myself up."

    He gripped my hand tighter, "stop." He growled, making me want to whimper. I didn't like him being mad at me, only him. "You sacrificing yourself will only wound more people. It's not logical."

     "You're right." I nodded, I'm not a sacrificial lamb. I'm worth more than that. I'm stronger than that. I'll defeat him with force, sacrifice is just a copout.

    He let out a sigh of relief, "anyways let's talk about different things. I feel like all I ever talk to you about is politics."

     "What do you want to talk about?" I smiled, this dull chat was putting a damper on both of our moods.

    "Want to go on vacation?"

    I laughed, "don't you think we are a little busy?" What a slacker, I laughed again at the thought.

    "After all this. I want to go back to my little cave and sleep for the next ten years." He groaned, leaning back, stretching on the chair.

    "Do dragons hibernate?"

    He shrugged, "if we wanted too." He leaned forward again, and smiled as he caught me stealing a cupcake. "We never turn down an option to sleep."

    "Well I'd be lonely if you sleep for ten years." I said with a little giggle. I placed the cherry that was on the top of the cupcake into my mouth. I hummed with delight as the sugary substance filled my mouth.

    "Ugh," he groaned, he covered his mouth looking away. I flicked my eyes to his face, his face was bright red. "I guess I can't do that then."

    My heart melted, "you promise?" I needed to get him to promise before I spoke my mind.

    He held up his head again and nodded. I smiled, "good, now even when I get mad at you, you can't run away."

     "That, my love, is a two way street." He chuckled, and I laughed along with him.

    "Well even if I run away, you have a tendency to find me anywhere." We smiled brightly at that.

    Days paced 'peacefully', nothing was happening in our kingdom. But sadly, I couldn't say the same for Maeve's kingdom and the Human Realm.

    Zaivinth and I were on our daily afternoon walk that we had become accustomed too. We walked hand and hand, silently. We were admiring the peace around us.

    We had gotten to the point that we don't need to fill the air with extra words to appreciate our own company. Though it made me on edge, after leaving my house in the Flore Albo pack, nothing had been this calm. I was waiting for something to happen.

    I had known Zaivinth for about six months now. Though I felt like I've known him for so much longer. I looked up to his beautifully chiseled face, his black hair and blue eyes. He was looking up at the orange sky, peace in his eyes. I followed where his eyes were and watched the sunset.

    My heart rate picked up, randomly pounding against my rib cage. I thought back to the letter, my first letter, a nightstalker.

When I saw that beautiful blue butterfly waiting for me in my, our, bedroom, I squealed in excitement. I ran over there so fast and watched the butterfly flutter into my hands. I gave a little jump, the butterfly then unfolded into a beautiful letter.

Inside it, the sentence was simple. Am well, avoid looking outside during this full moon at all costs. Miss you Stupid Girl, Grandma Weni.

We kept walking while my heart rate kept increasing to the point of pain. I raised my free hand to clench my shirt, just above my heard. It hurt so much. How much longer would this heart burn carry on for? I don't know if I could deal with much more.

I looked to Zaivinth to see if he was noticing my silent pain. I wanted to scream out to him, though I couldn't get the words out. He was still looking up at the sky, the sun had now set. "Look how beautiful the moon is tonight."

I looked up, pain almost crippling me. Then, there it was, the full moon.

"Urk," blood gurgled up my throat and sprayed out of my mouth.

Then my vision went blurry, I looked up at my mate, who's eyes were wide with fear.

"Sheila!"

Me getting sick with a stomach bug.

WHATS WRONG WITH HER?

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE TO WHATS HAPPENING?

WHOS HAPPY TO HEAR FROM WENI?

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE