Chapter Fifty-Four

December 20th, 2019

Zaivinth

I heard her, then I felt it. Something within me exploded with pain as I dropped to my knees and cried out in pain. I knew the instant the pain hit, what had happened. "No..!" I cried, my eyes widening. "No, no, no, gods please just this once be kind to me," I said desperately getting back to my feet, though my legs quivered like a newborn deer.

She was my single ray of light in my life. She drew me out of a half-decade depression. When I first laid eyes on her, my sadness, my anxiety had floated away with the wind. I knew that there was good to come when I saw her and that my life truly had meaning, and it had meaning for myself, not for the bloody crown my father wore.

Then I saw an explosion come from where she would have been. The explosion of darkness, I knew who it was, that aura, I've fought alongside him for years, my vision got blurry. He was the first person I introduced Sheila too. My best friends, my true father figure, someone I depended on, looked up to, and cared for.

I saw Flores in the distance, running with a group of Xion's elves behind him. I took off sprinting towards him. "Where is she?!" I howled in distressed. "Where is my mate?!" The sadness and grief in his eyes told me everything.

"We have to go," He went to grab my hand though I withdrew.

"If— If she has died, what point is there for me to live?" There was no reason to live my life now that my light is gone. Why couldn't I have been faster? I should have never put someone as precious as her on the battlefield. I was practically waving a piece of treasure in front of thieves, to take, steal, and break. I looked to the battlefield where Xion was sprinting desperately, the enemy on his heels. In his hands... I whimpered.

There she was, on top of her shield a sword on her chest. Her arms hanging limply over the sides. She looked like she was peacefully asleep. When he got to me he shouted, "what are you doing?!" As tears were dripping down his own face, "we have to go! I just barely got her out of there—" He looked behind us, there were a few wizards making a bee-line in our direction.

He ran past me, and that shifted me into movement as I turned on my heels and ran next to Xion until we caught up to the old man, who threw one last spell at the wizards that fried their entire front line. It gave us enough time to get back to camp safely.

We were back at camp and had just stopped running. We retreated successfully, something that we wouldn't have done if it wasn't for Xion and Sheila. I turned to Xion who was breathing heavily. I held out my hands and scooped them under Sheila. I felt the tears hit me a second later as I felt her fragile body lay limply in my hands.

I sunk to the ground holding her, I took one of my hands and cradled her to my chest as I sobbed into her hair. The rain had started to come down and hit my face. "Please wake up," we were supposed to do so much together, we were supposed to see the world, just as you wanted.

The world was something I was so disgusted by that I hid away for five years. Then to see my mate have the sparkle in her eyes as she got to go to a new place that she had never expected to go, it made me realize the good in this world. I rocked back and forth as I cried, my heart squeezing painfully. "Why did it have to be you, why are you always the one who faced the hardships," I whispered, my voice croaking from the tears, she was always the first to help and the last to leave.

My troops saw me and kneeled down, some had tears in their eyes, others were crying with us, and some just clutched their hands to their chest and prayed for her. Xion was covering his face with a shield as he cried silently, something he rarely did. Flores looked on sadly as he stood and watched everyone with sadness.