Chapter Forty-Four

November 14th, 2019

Sheila

    Traveling fifteen miles in less than an hour was almost impossible. Though we were so close, "come on, we are almost there!" I shouted as we walked through the trees. Soon there will be a dip in the hill where we will swoop down and surround them.

    I looked to my left and right, I was in the front line along with my dragons. Our dragon army was split in half. Half in the front and a half in the back. The ones in the back held the backline, keeping people from retreating, then the others were in the front line, the strongest form of defense or attack. The men beside me trained their entire lives for this moment.

    "My queen, you should fall back further in the ranks, it's too dangerous for you to be up here." I looked up to him.

    "If my men fight on the front lines, I will fight alongside them. Now, hurry we are almost there." You could practically see the tree line and hear the sounds of war.

    Seconds later we were at the tree line, looking down at the blood bath. The men were forming ranks behind me. "Men, form flanks!" I shouted and in seconds their human forms were no more. I was looking at a line of dragons. We squished together not allowing any gaps in the line.

    Kolgrims army was formed and in tight rows, fighting against Herus' army who were struggling to keep it together. I hear Xion shout behind us, "take aim," I braced myself, "fire!" Then a shadow of arrows was flown above our heads, raining death upon the last few rows of Kolgrims army, announcing our arrival.

    Kolgrims army turned to look at us. "Slow forward march!" I called, then in an instant, fire surrounded us, my dragons let out their flames as me slowly closed in on them. We watched as the last line of Kolgrims army started to back into their peers, afraid of getting fried.

    They turned and held their spears out with shaking hands. It was enough of a distraction to get Herus back on his feet. He started pushing the first line of Kolgrims army back, back into us.

    We collided with them, the only sound was humans frying to death. War was not pretty, but there were people I needed to protect, and the longer we allow evil to survive, the more innocent people will suffer.

    I searched the army for him. Though I couldn't find him which sent fear into my mind. I turned to my behind where another dragon was standing ready for me if I were to fall and fill the gap. She gave me a look of confusion. I just gave her a hard look before my brain pulled me towards the gap.

I had to find this bastard, using my invisibility, I plowed through a bunch of fearful humans leaving them motionless in my wake. Slowly making my way through the lines by myself. I dodged spears by making myself smaller in places as well as to move quicker.

I made it through the entire army before figuring out that Kolgrim was nowhere to be seen. Had he already fallen against Herus? I jumped over a centaur, making my way towards Herus. I left the gap returning to my original size and scared the living out of some Centaurs. Though with one good look in my direction they knew I was their General and not their foe.

When I saw Herus, he was ordering the reserves to go in and ultimately break the human line once and for all. Which he should be doing. "Herus!" I called out to him. He snapped his head in my direction.

"Sheila?" He had to do a double take. "What are you— how did you get to this side?" He met me halfway.

"Never the matter, Kolgrim. Have you seen him?"

"He was here when he attacked us this morning." Oh gods, where could he be? "Is he no longer on the battlefield?" I shook my head, growing the size of a full grown tree. I looked out over the field once more.

"It looks like my front line is still standing strong. It should be finished soon, it looks like none will be spared." I looked down at Herus who was looking up at me. He nodded firmly, looking out to his men scurrying around.

"Thank you for getting here so quickly," he looked up at me again, "we would have all died."

I shrunk down again turning back to my human form, "don't ever think I'd leave you behind." I smiled at him putting a hand on his shoulder, "friends don't get left behind."

He was about to say something but there was something that caught his eyes from over my shoulder. It was then when everything started to move in slow motion.

First I saw Herus' eyes widen in fear as he opened his mouth to scream something.

Then out of nowhere I felt this stabbing pain in my shoulder. I looked down to see a blade poking out from within my body.

I moved my hands to grab it as I started to see blood spilling out from the wound. Blood dripping all the way down my shirt, the sticky feeling covering my chest in an instant. Then I heard the mindless laughter behind me.

I wanted to turn and end Kolgrims life right there. But I slumped to my knees, my own mind dwindling. The blade still deep into my shoulder.

Then out of nowhere Herus found his strength and attacked with so much rage in his eyes. Rage that could end wars. He let out a bloodcurdling cry that made other men turn to look at us. Their looks of horror made my heart drop further. How bad did I look? Well I couldn't look great with a sword through my shoulder.

    Then I looked over again. I recognized this bloody sword, it was the one that I had carried around for the longest time. Until... Until I stabbed it into Kolgrim's stomach.

    I felt a hand on my other shoulder, I couldn't believe I was still awake. I looked up to see Herus looked down at me, fresh blood dripping from his face. His eyes were wide as he yelled something to his men, who scurried away. He grabbed me and started to drag me to somewhere else as he fought Kolgrim.

    Why couldn't I just pass out. This pain was unbearable.

    No.

    No I was a warrior, I was strong, and I will fight till I die. This sword is nothing but a toothpick. I rose a shaking hand behind me and gripped the handle. I took a deep breath bore I tore it out of my shoulder with a howl.

    I shifted back into my shadow wolf form, turning to face Kolgrim who had his staff drawn. Looking at me with his smug face.

    "Well, well, well, my kitten, you always seem to slip through my fingers, though not this time." I let out a growl as I approached closer, my shadow flames rose higher. I could see the light illuminating from my red eyes from the puddles on the ground.

    "Oh no, this will be the last time," the voice was not my own, as I reached out a fleshless hand and grabbed the beautiful golden cord that latched onto his mind.

    And I tugged.

Whenever I have to write Kolgrim saying "my kitten."

ms-F8eQFv

ms-F8eQFv.gif

Where did Kolgrim disappear to?

Who did Herus tell his men?

What do you think will happen next?

Listen to the song Ballin' by mustard I'm obsessed. Thanks for all the song suggestions. I want mooooore.

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE