Kittens

I sighed as I puffed out the last piece of tobacco before putting out the dainty cigarette.

I just parted ways with Jeno and Jaemin. It was dark and I was headinv home, feeling a bit tired. As I walked down the road, passing by the bus stop, I heard a soft meow. I kneeled down as I saw three small kittens, mewing softly. They must have been abandoned in the box, though old enough to survive without milk, they still needed proper care.

I petted one of the kittens with my finger. It curled up to the warmth of my finger. I smiled as it purred at me. A poor kitten lost in the real world.

Too relatable.

"Ah excuse me?" I looked up to see the one and only, Renjun. I saw his eyes widened at me. I noticed his check was covered with a nasty bruise.

I felt bad.

"What you got there?" I got up and looked towards a plastic bag he was carrying. He looked down.

"Oh, just some milk and a small blanket for the kittens," he said. "I found them under the tree there but I heard there was a lot of snakes so I brought them here," he squatted down and petted the head of the other kitten, a white kitten with bright blue eyes. For some reason the kitten reminded me of Renjun.

"Er, do you want me to help?" I carefully questioned. Renjun looked up at me, his pink lips forming into a small smile.

"Sure,"

We fed the frail kittens with the milk. I wrapped the kittens in the small but light blankets. Our fingers touched a few times and I blushed at the contact.

When we got up, in silence, Renjun looked at the kittens questioningly.

"What should we do about them?" I questioned out loud. Renjun looked at me.

"I could bring them home tonight, and then bring them to a shelter tomorrow," Renjun suggested. "Unless you want to keep them,"

Donghyuck quickly shook his head. It's not like he didn't like cats, it's just the circumstances in his home is far from safe for pets.

"Okay..." Renjun carefully picked up the box. "Looks like you little ones are coming home with me," He smiled so sweetly, I could die over and over again for that smile.

I can't believe I thought something as cringy as that.

"Er, Renjun," I started. He looked at me, confused. I sighed. "I'm sorry for earlier,"

He was totally not expecting me to say that, almost dropping the box. His face covered in a pretty shade of red as he recollected himself. "Ah, it's ok,"

"So, urm," Why is this so awkward? This is for school purpose right? "C-Can I have your number? For the project I mean,"

He looked at me with a little smile, his pretty face illuminated with the bright full moon in the light. He looked so beautiful.

"Ah, yeah, sure..." he pulled out his phone after placing the box down again, typing in some things. I took out my phone to find the contacts app.  He passed the phone to me. I gave him mine. We exchanged numbers and we both smiled as we got our phones back.

Renjun looked at his watch. "Omg I'm late!" he picked up the box. "See you tomorrow!"

The way he runs is so cute. I looked down at my phone. I had his number, I'm so soft for him. Oh god.

I walked back home with a huge grin on my face. Thank god Jeno and Jaemin were nowhere here. I placed the phone on my heart. My conscious brain was criticizing how soft I was but I didn't care anymore.

I just let myself smile as I headed for my gloomy house. I prayed my parents weren't at home and my day would be complete.

I heard the sound of breaking glass as I turned the doorknob. Just my luck.

As I opened the door I saw my dad on the ground, unconscious. I quickly ran to him in panic. It was then I realized, there was blood. Fricking blood, all over the floor.

And my mom, she was there, but I didn't recognize her anymore.