(1) My Crush Is My Bestie's BF

Chapter 1

His eyes were such a pretty blue. Like sapphires with slivers of diamonds stuck inside. I could stare at them all day. I leaned against my music stand and sighed. He was so handsome!

Today he wore one of his famous tight black T-shirts. It fit so well over his torso, I wanted to know how it felt to run my hands over it. Was it really hard muscle like I thought it was, or would it yield softly under my touch?

Suddenly, as though he felt my eyes on him, his head turned towards me, and I quickly looked away, cursing myself. How long had I been staring? I peeked back to see he wasn’t looking over here anymore. Good.

He couldn’t know I liked him. Not in a million years. Why not? Well...the reason was walking up to him right now and putting her arms around him. My heart gave a pang, but I forced myself to smile, like I'd been doing for the past year. I had no right to love that man over there because his girl--the one with her hands wrapped around him--was none other than Sharon Lewis, my best friend.

Believe it or not, it was actually all my doing that got them together.

And now you’re probably asking the dreaded question... “If you like the guy, then why did you hook them up?” Trust me when I say it was not on purpose.

Sharon, on my behalf, gave Robin Daze my anonymous love letter on Valentine’s Day. And since it was the more outgoing Sharon that gave it to him instead of lil’ ole me, he thought it was from her, and, well...asked her out.

Many would probably call me shy. That’s what I thought about myself too until that incident. Now I know that what I mistook for shyness was actually cowardice.

I had no more time to ponder on it since my bestie was skipping towards me, her blonde curls bouncing with every step she took as she twirled her flute in one hand. "Hey you! Are you okay?" She asked, looking worriedly into my eyes.

I forced a smile and nodded. "Yeah. Just a little sleepy."

"Oh. Really? But didn’t you go to sleep at like, nine?” Sharon’s blue eyes pierced me.

I opened my mouth, and then closed it. I did tell her I was going to sleep around nine so that she would stop texting me. “W-well, yeah. M-maybe it’s because I slept too long.” I tittered a thin laugh and pushed my hair behind my ear as I looked away. My eyes landed on Robin, and I blushed when I saw he was looking this way.

He motioned for me to come over. My heart pumped in my chest hard as my eyes widened. I gulped.

“Oh, look, my honey’s beckoning me!” Sharon’s declaration made my thumping heart sink all the way to my feet. Duh, Desiree! Why would Robin Daze ask you to come over to him? There’s nothing we have to do with each other.

I sighed and nodded to Sharon.

She looked at me with her eyebrows low over her pristine baby blues. “You...Dez...do you still like Rob?” I gasped and looked up at her. The look in her eye frightened me a little. Like she was on the other side of my friend like. My enemy...But she was my best friend...

“Of-Of course not!” I lied to reassure her, but I looked away with a wobbly smile that I hoped I hid. “I-I fell in love with someone else I’ll, uh, show him to you sometime...” I trailed off and looked down at my shoes.

“Okay. I can’t wait to see the lucky guy!” She wrapped her arms around me in a hug. “You know you’re my best friend! I love you so much! No homo.”

I half laughed and hugged her back. “I so felt the homo.”

And I, the biggest coward in the world, watched as she walked away...to her boyfriend--my crush-- as our first period, Band Class, started.