(7) Introduction To The Friends

Chapter 7

As soon as we entered the cafeteria, I found myself surrounded by more tall guys, not quite as tall as Daniel was, but definitely taller than me. I knew right away who they were: The rest of the basketball team.

They smiled at the guy by my side and laughed when they saw me. "Yo Danny, who's the mouse? Did you rescue her?"

Daniel laughed. "I guess you could say that, but that was yesterday. She's my girl today." I felt my heart jump, but I quickly smothered it. This was pretend, and I definitely didn't want it to be real.

Their laughter died down quickly as surprised looks were cast our way.

One guy came up and looked me in the eye. His eyebrow rose as he stared some more. I had the odd feeling of a specimen being observed, and unconsciously, I squeezed Daniel's hand harder and stepped closer to him. When I did that, the guy staring at me rose both eyebrows. "Dude, this ain't your usual style-"

"Back off Tom, she's my girl. Are you trying to say I'm lying to you?" Daniel looked down at Tom intensely.

Tom laughed uncomfortably. "No one was saying you were lying. Why are you so protective, man?"

Daniel gripped my hand and started to walk away. "Why wouldn't I be protective over my girlfriend?" We walked over together to get something to eat.

I blew a breath out once we were in line, feeling relief sing through me.

Daniel looked down at me. "Are you okay? You look a little pale."

I scoffed. "I'm a coward. I couldn’t believe your friends could make me feel so uneasy so fast."

"Coward? Why do you think that?"

I shook my head. "I know I am. I have no backbone."

He looked at me a couple seconds before he opened his mouth. "You aren't-"

"Dezzy!" I heard Sharon's voice and twirled around quickly, snatching my hand out of Daniel's like a guilty child.

Sharon was walking up, looking quite chipper, a bright smile on her face as her blond hair bounced gleefully around her heart-shaped face. I smiled freely at her until I saw she was dragging someone behind her, comfortably grasping his hand tightly. Then I felt my fake smile again. "H-hey!" I said.

She must have noticed who was next to me, because shock replaced her happy face, and then a sly smile stole her lips. "So you did like her? See Dezzy, I told you-"

"No! We just happened to be in the same line-"

"Yes." Daniel cut me off, I felt his large hand enveloped my small one. "We are actually going out." I looked up at him, my mouth flopping open and closed as I blushed. He just looked at me with calm, collected eyes.

"Oh, really? That's...great." Sharon said. I saw a glint pass through her eyes, but then it was gone when she smiled sweetly. "I'm Dezzy's best friend. You can call me-"

"Oh, yeah., Desiree's told me about you! You're...Shelby, right?" I gasped, but he covered it up when he suddenly let go of my hand to hold out his hand to her. "Nice to meet you!" He said with a polite smile.

Sharon looked at Daniel's hand, her smile fleetingly gone, but returned as she shook his hand. "Actually, it's Sharon, but it is nice to meet you too." She replied.

Daniel let go of Sharon's hand quickly enough, but instead of grabbing my hand again, he hooked his arm around my waist and pulled me close to his side. I whipped my head and looked up at him, wide-eyed. I inhaled in surprise, but for some reason, I was having a hard time exhaling.

He looked down at me and grinned down at me. "Smile babe, you look even more beautiful when you're smiling. Haven't I told you already?"

I nodded and forced myself to relax and smile. Only I knew what his words actually meant.

"I'll treat you as though you're my girlfriend. Just don't worry about anything." Were his words.

Sharon cleared her throat and I looked away from Daniel. "Daniel, I would like you to meet my boyfriend, Robin Daze.”

My heart sped up as Robin stepped from where he had been standing behind Sharon and shook Daniel's hand wholeheartedly. "Nice to meet you, the star from the basketball team!" Robin said earnestly.

Daniel smiled politely and returned the handshake with a nod. "Nice to see I have enthusiastic fans." Daniel said. Why did it sound like he was being sarcastic?

Robin grinned from ear to ear, not hearing in the least what I heard in Daniel's voice. "You sure do. Maybe enough to ask for an autograph?" Robin said hopefully.

Daniel nodded. "Maybe later. Right now, I need to feed my girl." He said with a squeeze to my side.

Robin shook his head quickly. "Of course, of course!" My heart felt suffocated to see that Robin was okay with me going out with some other guy. I mean, he didn't even have one hint of uneasiness seeing me with some other guy. He was completely oblivious to my feelings.

"Goodbye  Rob, and...uh, Shane." I gasped again as we walked away, putting aside my  unrequited feelings for Robin.

When we were far enough away, I spoke up, "You did that on purpose, didn't you?" I accused him.

Daniel looked down at me innocently. "Desiree, dear, I have no idea what you're talking about."

I glared at him. "Getting Sharon's name wrong."

Daniel scrunched his eyebrows up in confusion. "Why would I do that? I honestly cannot remember her name. I don't know, something about the name Sharon just doesn't stick to my cerebral."

"But you promised-"

"I promised I wouldn't call her a bit-"

"Don't say it!" I covered my ears.

Daniel only laughed and led me to the front of the line, where he tried to buy me breakfast, but I refused...but then he said it was all part of being his 'girlfriend'. Boyfriends always bought his girl food...so, I had to let him. For pretend's sake.

And after a decent school breakfast, he led me to class, like a respectable boyfriend.

And as he left me finally in the band room, I found myself thinking I could get used to being a girlfriend.